Overview Features Coding Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Running Games and Apps.

Quake 3 On Amiga (68k)page  1 2 

ExiE CZEX

Posts 48
13 Dec 2017 15:42


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

We need to start where Amiga Classics left off, we cant just skip to present (like Pi`s include 3D chip).

Actually from standalone Vamp point of view would be adding modern 3D chip the best option. Also supporting dozen of outdated cards with very different chips and performance is not the easiest way either.
With one carefully selected chip majority of people would have same hardware (like a gaming console) and developers would exactly know they target machine...


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 393
13 Dec 2017 23:54


Daniel Sevo wrote:

Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

 
  My suggestion is that *IF FEASABLE* sometime in future v4 models and beyond should have some kind of Voodo3D in FPGA offering fast 3D. That would make it complete and modern system, Glide compatibile too, accompaniying but not nulling SAGA.
  And would make advanced 3D titles of Q3+ era possible (my fav RTCW).
 

 
  Since you did not specifically mention Voodoo3 I guess, some sort of implementation of the first Voodoo would be achievable to a degree.. But for example, Voodoo 3 transistor count is >50 million.. In comparison, the 68060 is 2,5 million. This tells me you need a really big and ridiculously expensive FPGA compared to what you get out of it.
 

not to mention that the FPGA would need to be faster too, in addition to prettttty big. the voodoo 3 cores ranged from 125 - 183 Mhz in speed. the vampire runs at around 80 Mhz


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 393
13 Dec 2017 23:56


Jan Vonka wrote:

You still can have Voodoo3 in your Mediator with Vampire 1200 and the bigbox one.

yes, the question is, will the vampire V4 for A1200 be compatible with this? I have mediator 1200 with voodoo3 card as well, and this question is very important to me, but I've never had an answer to this


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 393
14 Dec 2017 00:15


Tim D wrote:

I guess porting Q3 to 68k may be the bigger issue here, wouldn't it? The Q3 shown is a PPC build and I doubt a 68k version exists.

I'm pretty sure the source code exists


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 393
14 Dec 2017 00:17


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

gregthe canuck wrote:

  Hi Nick -
     
  I suppose it boils down to where the teams sees the Apollo core going in the long run.
     
  Is this planned to be a "full" SOC chip in future? To me that means built-in 3D and video decoding...
 

   
  Yes, APOLLO has build in 3D and Video acceleration instructions.
  These instructions give a major performance boost.
  You can see their effect already in our recent work in progress rasterizer video. The performance impact is big, they allow us to run the texture-rastercode 10 times faster than a 68060 CPU.
 
 

I'd say just perfect and optimize the core, maybe add some instructions that may help with what's needed, and then go ASIC. try some ASIC cores out, find out what works, what doesn't, correct mistakes, then boom.
it will take time, yup. let it have its time. it's all gonna be K ;)


Mallagan Bellator

Posts 393
14 Dec 2017 00:19


Thierry Atheist wrote:

Aren't there really just a small amount of instructions on 3D cards, they just have upwards of 400 units dedicated to each one?
 
  We would have, on the V4 (V2 has all the LE's used up), just say, 8 or 16 of each unit, instead? I have no idea how all the extra bandwith would enter/exit the FPGA. The CPU, FPU, etc. would slow down when it was in use, I would think.

yes sure, and add a second CPU core for dual core purpose ;) that would be cool. but space?


Andy Hearn

Posts 365
26 Dec 2017 14:03


I used to play quake3 competitively on an AMD K6-III 450, over clocked to 550, with an nvidia TNT2... anyway, while itís not that much heavy lifting for modern cpu/gpu, I think it may be a bit beyond the vamp. But Iíll be more than happy to be proved wrong :D


Thierry Atheist

Posts 640
26 Dec 2017 18:16


Mallagan Bellator wrote:
yes sure, and add a second CPU core for dual core purpose ;) that would be cool. but space?

Andy Hearn wrote:
I used to play quake3 competitively on an AMD K6-III 450, over clocked to 550, with an nvidia TNT2... anyway, while itís not that much heavy lifting for modern cpu/gpu, I think it may be a bit beyond the vamp. But Iíll be more than happy to be proved wrong :D

I've always wanted to see "what more can Amiga do, if it had.....?"

And now, everything bolted onto/into the Vampire 2/4, we KNOW that so much more is possible!!!!

We're just 2% of the way there*!!!!!!!

And it's going to be FANTABULOUS!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY VAMPIRE 2018 NEW YEAR TO ALL THE AMIGANS!!!!

* I mean, on the road of faster (+"bigger") FPGA's, more RAM, going ASIC, new software.... (We're close to the V2/4's FPGA limit now.)


Daniel Sevo

Posts 299
26 Dec 2017 19:24


The day will come when there will be a much more capable FPGA available for a decent cost and simply moving the core to it will give a large boost in clock speed, but for now, I agree, (and also said it before, focus on Q2, not QIII)...


Manuel Jesus

Posts 151
15 Feb 2018 15:10


I am afraid about FPGA's and American business sensibility. If you look at what was done in the pharmaceutical industry, cheap drugs were raised in price 300X as a quick way to boost profit and show sales growth to shareholders without lifting a finger in R&D costs.
 
  I hope the same thing won't be done with FPGA's.


Steve Ferrell

Posts 402
16 Feb 2018 03:12


Manuel Jesus wrote:

I am afraid about FPGA's and American business sensibility. If you look at what was done in the pharmaceutical industry, cheap drugs were raised in price 300X as a quick way to boost profit and show sales growth to shareholders without lifting a finger in R&D costs.
   
    I hope the same thing won't be done with FPGA's.

What does "American" have to do with any of this?  Big pharma and the electronics industry certainly aren't restricted by US borders in what they do.



Michael Borrmann

Posts 139
16 Feb 2018 06:17


And anyway, let's keep politics out of this forum, please... ;)


Matthew Burroughs

Posts 59
16 Feb 2018 15:49


Manuel Jesus wrote:

I am afraid about FPGA's and American business sensibility. If you look at what was done in the pharmaceutical industry, cheap drugs were raised in price 300X as a quick way to boost profit and show sales growth to shareholders without lifting a finger in R&D costs.
   
    I hope the same thing won't be done with FPGA's.

Intel do own a lot of the FPGA market, if they hike prices where else could we go?


Daniel Sevo

Posts 299
16 Feb 2018 22:31


Matthew Burroughs wrote:

 
  Intel do own a lot of the FPGA market, if they hike prices where else could we go?
 

 
  Yea ALtera, Xilinx have most of the market, but there are others..
 
  Microsemi
  EXTERNAL LINK 
  Quicklogic
  EXTERNAL LINK 
  Lattice Semi
  EXTERNAL LINK 
  Achronix
  EXTERNAL LINK 
Maybe we should now steer this back on topic ;-)
 
 


Matthew Burroughs

Posts 59
20 Feb 2018 18:46


Daniel Sevo wrote:

Matthew Burroughs wrote:

   
    Intel do own a lot of the FPGA market, if they hike prices where else could we go?
 

 
  Yea ALtera, Xilinx have most of the market, but there are others..
 
  Microsemi
  EXTERNAL LINK   
  Quicklogic
  EXTERNAL LINK   
  Lattice Semi
  EXTERNAL LINK   
  Achronix
  EXTERNAL LINK   
  Maybe we should now steer this back on topic ;-)
 
 

And I think that topic is when can i actually buy something?

Hopefully soon.


Steve Ferrell

Posts 402
20 Feb 2018 19:27


Matthew Burroughs wrote:

Daniel Sevo wrote:

 
Matthew Burroughs wrote:

   
    Intel do own a lot of the FPGA market, if they hike prices where else could we go?
   

   
    Yea ALtera, Xilinx have most of the market, but there are others..
   
    Microsemi
    EXTERNAL LINK   
    Quicklogic
    EXTERNAL LINK   
    Lattice Semi
    EXTERNAL LINK   
    Achronix
    EXTERNAL LINK   
  Maybe we should now steer this back on topic ;-)
   
   
 

 
  And I think that topic is when can i actually buy something?
 
  Hopefully soon.

Actually this thread is about Quake 3 on the Amiga but like most threads here, it gets derailed...


posts 36page  1 2