Overview Features Coding Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Questions and Answers for AMIGA Workbench or Coffin

Apollo OSpage  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 

James Igou

Posts 12
18 Aug 2017 16:53


Come on Gunnar, you know there is no legal definition of abandonware.
And OS3.9 contains elements of code re-licensed to Hyperion, as well as components from OS 3.1.




Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5796
18 Aug 2017 17:00


James Igou wrote:

  Come on Gunnar, you know there is no legal definition of abandonware.
  And OS3.9 contains elements of code re-licensed to Hyperion, as well as components from OS 3.1.
 

 
I assume we all like AMIGA and
I assume we all would have enjoyed if AMIGA would not dying out,
but many more AMIGAs would be used worldwide.
 
We are all smart enough to understand why this there are no new AMIGAs around.
 
Its not the missing hardware - the problem are the "locked in" OS.
 
Lets take the MINIMIG as example.
In comparison to the VAMPIRE the MINIMIG uses real low cost FPGA and could have been produce in volume for a price like the Rasperry-PI.
 
So why were not millions of them produced and sold for very low money?
 
The reason is that AMIGA is dead is because the OS is locked in.
 
So the next time you say "theft" then also say "murder" as these people gave AMIGA the final killing blow.


Thierry Atheist

Posts 642
18 Aug 2017 17:37


What caused this ENTIRE problem was:

1) No more 680x0 CPU development

2) Whoever took over Amiga wasn't going to continue in some way to work with AGA and 680x0 technology

3) Hyperion HAD NO CHOICE but to use ANOTHER CPU, and they went with (dead end) PPC.
(PPC has 2 problems OVERPRICED and IBM and/or Motorola REFUSE to make working motherboards for people to make computers with their CPUs... and even if they did, they would be TO EXPENSIVE.)

I was TOTALLY waiting/wanting/looking for continuation of the ORIGINAL SYSTEM, and FORTUITOUSLY emerged the NatAmi, which has now crossed over to be Vampire....

More people than anyone can imagine will BE HERE when it's produced in numbers that can be sold regularly (gotten in under 2 weeks from ordering).


Gilles Dridi

Posts 49
18 Aug 2017 17:39


My opinion about legacy code, OS

First code in ROM :
Even if Hyperion recompiled code as given by ROM 3.1 they are permitted to distribute and Cloanto is another source -- as I know -- of provisioning from ROM of _Commodore-Amiga_ (Commodore and Amiga)  original work (before they bankrupted  in 1994).

Secondly,
So, the trouble is OS above ROM, personally I remembered only OS 3.5 as the last version ;-) distributed on a CD. Because some work on OS 3.9 seems belonging to Haage & Partner ; always alive?

I must say to pursuing on legal ownership of ROM code use , is illegal (my opinion) though it is using ROM only. And pursuing on ownership of  OS (code) 3.5 or 3.9? which are "patched" everyware indeed is a waste of time. 8-)

Really there are works for audio driver on both the Vampire and A1222_TABOR and G. K. original Paula chip designer will be sad to "listen" to the situation becoming gbg! as would say Malik (R.I.P.)

DGILLES


Thierry Atheist

Posts 642
18 Aug 2017 18:01


Steve Ferrell wrote:
And you can continue with your childish, name-calling rants. They only go to show your lack of maturity....

I've read tons of (to be polite) garbage written by that guy (jim/iggy(natowski)/beans) and I agree with Steve Ferrell and anything he says about this in the future too.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 770
18 Aug 2017 18:03


eric gus wrote:

  Oh so minimon probably wants core3 or 2.5? .. ok ill just remove it from the wbstartup for now I guess.

Get the 2.7 core


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5796
18 Aug 2017 20:42


guys, I would like to kindly ask to try to keep this forum peaceful - PLEASE!

There is already to much jealousy, animosity and hatred in other forums.

Thanks guys


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5796
19 Aug 2017 08:29


James Igou wrote:

I LOVE the idea of a kick ass 68K based platform and might even investigate installing a V2 board into one of our old PT68K4 based computers.
They only ran at 10 MHz (and they didn't have an fpu either, after all, the 68000 doesn't have that option).

And an over ten fold improvement in performance?

To prevent misunderstanding.

Of course APOLLO 68080 is not just 10 times faster then 68000@10 MHz - but over 100 times faster!!



Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 770
19 Aug 2017 09:23


James Igou wrote:

Come on Gunnar, you know there is no legal definition of abandonware.
  And OS3.9 contains elements of code re-licensed to Hyperion, as well as components from OS 3.1.

There is. Its abandoned.

And OS 3.9 wasnt fully owned by Amiga Inc so they could not transfer rights to something they didnt own.

Re-licensed code when?
Components of 3.1 surely, but hey, thats a new product called 3.9


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 770
19 Aug 2017 18:54


Gilles Dridi wrote:

      First code in ROM :
      Even if Hyperion recompiled code as given by ROM 3.1 they are permitted to distribute and Cloanto is another source -- as I know -- of provisioning from ROM of _Commodore-Amiga_ (Commodore and Amiga)  original work (before they bankrupted  in 1994).
     

   
    I purchased A1200 in my lifetime. I see no piracy in use of any OS 3.1 ROM image, even my A1200 died before I have dumped ROM to a file.
   
    I hear "recompile" with Hyperion name ment some slight changes & incompatibilities that meant moving some things too their "wb" (from ROM) too ... so please NO! Or YES, I will just not "buy it". Overall community judgement of "updates" and "development" was "cosmetic" and "just for sales".
 
  Out of AEON/Hype 68k projects AmiStore, Enhancer are promised and shown but never released and none of AEON software purchases beside PersonalPaint.

Also since I do own 3.1 WB floppies and OS 3.5 on CD, WHY on Earth should I as end user pay again for something I do OWN, because ownership of IP has changed?
   


Steve Ferrell

Posts 420
20 Aug 2017 00:23


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

Gilles Dridi wrote:

      First code in ROM :
      Even if Hyperion recompiled code as given by ROM 3.1 they are permitted to distribute and Cloanto is another source -- as I know -- of provisioning from ROM of _Commodore-Amiga_ (Commodore and Amiga)  original work (before they bankrupted  in 1994).
     

     
      I purchased A1200 in my lifetime. I see no piracy in use of any OS 3.1 ROM image, even my A1200 died before I have dumped ROM to a file.
     
      I hear "recompile" with Hyperion name ment some slight changes & incompatibilities that meant moving some things too their "wb" (from ROM) too ... so please NO! Or YES, I will just not "buy it". Overall community judgement of "updates" and "development" was "cosmetic" and "just for sales".
 
  Out of AEON/Hype 68k projects AmiStore, Enhancer are promised and shown but never released and none of AEON software purchases beside PersonalPaint.
 
  Also since I do own 3.1 WB floppies and OS 3.5 on CD, WHY on Earth should I as end user pay again for something I do OWN, because ownership of IP has changed?
     

Hey, you're using logic!  That isn't allowed in most Amiga forums but thankfully here MOST forum members are reasonable individuals who agree with what you've said, and even if they don't agree, at least they don't attempt to be the copyright police and go around making wild accusations of piracy and copyright infringement in a complete vacuum.

I purchased my 3.1 ROM's for my A1200 and two A2000's back in 1992.  Battery corrosion destroyed the A2000's and I never upgraded my two A500's which I sold off later, so I have 3 legal copies of 3.1 even though I only have one working Amiga left in my possession.  Then to be accused of participating in and encouraging piracy by folks on an unnamed site catering to classic Amigas simply because I mentioned that I'd prefer to download a copy of ApolloOS rather than taking several hours of tweaking and customization of vanilla OS 3.1 was simply ludicrous.  I didn't mind the accusations against me so much, (I'm a big boy and can take it)....but then the accusations leveled by folks on this other site against the Apollo Team members got wildly out of control. 

Even funnier is the fact that I don't yet own a Vampire so I have no need for ApolloOS "yet" and haven't even downloaded a copy of ApolloOS.  But folks at the "other" site were livid and brought out the pitch forks and torches over me even mentioning ApolloOS....I'm normally just a forum lurker, but lately there have been several folks on the "other" site who have been spreading a lot of misinformation so I felt compelled to speak up.  My apologies for the ensuing turmoil.  If you're a Vampire user with Vampire/Amiga related questions, I suggest staying away from those other classic Amiga sites as there seems to be a lot of animosity directed at anyone who even mentions the Vampire.  And God help you if you mention ApolloOS...you'll get threatened with bodily injury!  LOL!




Aksel Andersen

Posts 119
20 Aug 2017 01:53


you're a pirate


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 770
20 Aug 2017 02:09


Aksel Andersen wrote:

  you're a pirate
 

 
  How, How.
 
  I will use XCopy to spread pirated ApolloOS.
 
  However, some Rebooot of Sid Meiers Pirates (PC Enanced+Community bugfixes+addons+C64 mode and WITH Golden Train >:-) would be most welcome.

Oh I forgot. There are also some AmigaOS 3.x files and ROMS on OS4 Not So Final Edition for my x1000 CD I believe >:-) So I even own that versions of theirs.


Steve Ferrell

Posts 420
20 Aug 2017 02:30


Aksel Andersen wrote:

you're a pirate

you're irrelevant


Aksel Andersen

Posts 119
20 Aug 2017 02:56


Steve Ferrell wrote:

Aksel Andersen wrote:

  you're a pirate
 

 
  you're irrelevant

Aww.. come on, little angry pirate.. im just pulling your peg leg.



Steve Ferrell

Posts 420
20 Aug 2017 03:17


Aksel Andersen wrote:

Steve Ferrell wrote:

 
Aksel Andersen wrote:

  you're a pirate
 

 
  you're irrelevant
 

 
  Aww.. come on, little angry pirate.. im just pulling your peg leg.
 

I guessed that you were, but after the past couple of days it's sometimes hard to tell.  LOL! Yo ho, yo, ho......argh....



Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 770
20 Aug 2017 10:39


*deleted*

"sorry Vojin, can we kindly ask
to keep our forum clean from nonsense post like this Hyperion one.

Many thanks"

Comment by admin


Steve Ferrell

Posts 420
21 Aug 2017 08:23



If I were legal counsel to the Apollo developers, I would advise them to thread very carefully and ideally get licenses in place.

   
I don't think the Vampire/Apollo Team has anything to worry about at all.  They've done nothing wrong.  They certainly haven't encouraged any piracy, endorsed ApolloOS or even distributed it.  As far as Gunnar is concerned, he's made it pretty clear that he sells hardware and it's up to the consumer to decide what OS to run on that hardware and how to obtain that OS, whether it's EmuTOS, TOS, or OS3.x.  Very smart move as it relieves him of any potential legal hassles.
   
And it would cost Hyperion more money to pursue anyone in court than they'd get in return from any OS3.x sales.  And don't forget that Hyperion was hurting for capital so badly that they essentially sold off control of the company recently to another party to stave off bankruptcy.  So it's doubtful that they'd even attempt any legal shenanigans, even if they wanted to.  Currently there's no money to be made off of OS3.x and until there's a new market for it or profits to be made off of it, it will remain in legal limbo.  Which in my opinion is where it should stay.  It's a dead-end OS for a dead platform.  AROS 68K will be the upcoming OS for Vampires in the near future.  No legal problems at all with AROS and it's actively being developed.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 770
21 Aug 2017 12:10


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

    *deleted*
   
    "sorry Vojin, can we kindly ask
    to keep our forum clean from nonsense post like this Hyperion one.
   
    Many thanks"
   
    Comment by admin
   

   
    Surely, I am not a fan, but he was "directly adressing us".
   
    Could I ask for removal of just Bens portion? (message was bigger)
 
    Arguments used are so vague (using soft emulation as example) that it seems IP defender could sue WinUAE, AmiKit X, even OS4 Petunia for its rights.
 
  Well, proper culture resists such nonsense
 
  Macka B - Get out of the Way(Official Music Video)
  EXTERNAL LINK 
Steve Ferrell wrote:

  AROS 68K will be the upcoming OS for Vampires in the near future.  No legal problems at all with AROS and it's actively being developed.

True, only problem is AROS 68k is not so actively developed.


Wawa T

Posts 695
21 Aug 2017 14:54


only problem is AROS 68k is not so actively developed

its still likely more actively developed than any other 68k os, save perhaps some atari options i dont know much about.

posts 263page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14