Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleases

Roadmap for Apollo & Vampire2page  1 2 3 4 5 

Tango One

Posts 97
10 Mar 2016 09:39


when can we have it ?


Mr-Z EdgeOfPanic

Posts 171
10 Mar 2016 10:02


@Tango One
Let them first develop the A500 and A1200 Vampire cards and further optimize and expand on the Apollo-core itself :)
This is a major upgrade (and the best since ppc cards) for the classic Amiga's already.



Chris Holzapfel

Posts 41
10 Mar 2016 13:16


It would be worth thinking about a multiformat video decoder IC on it.


Roman S.

Posts 149
10 Mar 2016 20:15


Yea - video decoder, PCI Express, modern graphics card support, Serial ATA... and 10 more years of waiting till everything is developed. Let's get back to reality :)

@Gunnar - OK, thank you for the answer.


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 3529
10 Mar 2016 22:39


John William wrote:

  If we can have 400 to 500 mips that would be unbelievable!! :D
 

 
  Yes, actually we can have real 500 Mips.
 
 
But talking about Mips is diffcult as
MIPS is pretty confusing value to measure performance.
Every "mips" Benchmark returns a different result.
Dhrystone Mips heavely depends on the compiler/ linked string functions - you can get 50% different result by linking different libs.
 
Sysinfo is bad written and can at best 50% of the max speed of 68060 and Apollo. In other words if Sysinfo would be better written the scores of 68060 and Apollo would be twice as high.
 
The SysSpeed routine measures pretty much nonsense.
Disasm it, then you will agree.
 
Real Applications benchmarks might make more sense.
But here also one needs to be careful what to pick.
For example some LAME programs on Aminet are 10 times faster than others - because the people sometimes used wrong compiler flags.
 
Of the synthetic benchmarks AIBB is not bad
and also Minibench is one of the more sensible benchmarks.
 


S. Hableman

Posts 1
08 Jun 2016 11:23


Hi Gunnar,
 
  I have been trying for weeks to reach you via email and state my interest concerning a Vampire II for the A600. I guess you are being swamped with requests, however it would be great to receive a short confirmation that I am being taken into account and put on an order or preorder list respectively. How to proceed?
 
  Thanks in advance for an answer
 
  Stefan from Berlin


Gregthe Canuck

Posts 270
08 Jun 2016 11:48



Please refer to the FAQ on the wiki:

EXTERNAL LINK 



Szyk Cech

Posts 178
08 Jun 2016 14:01


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

  Sysinfo is bad written and can at best 50% of the max speed of 68060 and Apollo. In other words if Sysinfo would be better written the scores of 68060 and Apollo would be twice as high.

I believe you as many Amiga fans. But I am afraid that no body believe beside us...


Salteadorneo Salteador

Posts 19
10 Jun 2016 16:09


Hi!
 
  I'm sorry for my bad english.
  Have you thought about using Xilinx FPGA instead of Altera?
  The Kintex-UltraScale seem interesting.


Daniel Sevo

Posts 235
10 Jun 2016 23:40


Real Time Clock and the V1200...

In my A600, apart from the Vampire board, I have the 604n chipmem + RTC clock expansion.
In the A1200 the RTC sits on the 1260 card. If I remove the 1260 and insert the Vampire, how will be able to add RTC to the V1200?
A lot of ppl already use the clockport for other stuff.
Would you consider adding an RTC to the v1200 or even a clockport? Or is this completely out of the question? (I guess this question is primarily for Igor / "Majsta")


Richard Gatineau

Posts 15
13 Jun 2016 14:02


Hi Gunnar,
 
About the A1200, its expansion connector allow to input audio (pins 146: AGND, 147: LEFT, 148: RIGHT).
       
Next, both audio signals (PAULA and EXPANSION) are internally mixed together and the output is done from the A1200 RCA. No extra connectors are required at all.
 
Sadly, I don't have any contact with Majsta, but I really hope the A1200 Vampire will use that great capability to be perfectly integrated with this hardware. :)


Daniel Sevo

Posts 235
25 Aug 2016 22:02


Is there an updated roadmap for planned features releases? (Without promising any exact dates of course, maybe just the order in which things are planned to be done? Some thoughts:
  1. Is Gold core still far off?
  2. Which features are "confirmed" for Gold core? (FPU? (S)AGA?)
  3. How many more features can realistically be added to the Cyclone III before its "full"?
  4. Is Arria 10 the only sensible step up from Cyclone III or are there other possibilities?
  5. Any news about production capabilities of future cards?
 
  Thanx team, for all your hard work


Thierry Atheist

Posts 618
25 Aug 2016 23:20


Daniel Sevo wrote:

Some thoughts:
1. ..., 2. ..., 3. ..., 4. ..., 5. ...

6. Everyone is referring to "it" as the now almost, code name, "stand-alone motherboard". Do you want to give it a name so that we could have (hopefully) easier talks about the Cyclone III Vampire II vs. the Arria 10 Vampire II?


Alan Haynes

Posts 101
26 Aug 2016 00:41


Thierry Atheist wrote:

Daniel Sevo wrote:

  Some thoughts:
  1. ..., 2. ..., 3. ..., 4. ..., 5. ...
 

  6. Everyone is referring to "it" as the now almost, code name, "stand-alone motherboard". Do you want to give it a name so that we could have (hopefully) easier talks about the Cyclone III Vampire II vs. the Arria 10 Vampire II?

Let's call it  "Vampire Amiga 2" or "The Vampire"

Alan



Daniel Sevo

Posts 235
26 Aug 2016 07:21


Alan Haynes wrote:

Thierry Atheist wrote:

 
Daniel Sevo wrote:

  Some thoughts:
  1. ..., 2. ..., 3. ..., 4. ..., 5. ...
 

  6. Everyone is referring to "it" as the now almost, code name, "stand-alone motherboard". Do you want to give it a name so that we could have (hopefully) easier talks about the Cyclone III Vampire II vs. the Arria 10 Vampire II?
 

 
  Let's call it  "Vampire Amiga 2" or "The Vampire"
 
  Alan
 

The standalone board is more Natami 2 than Vampire 2 IMO ;-)



Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 3529
26 Aug 2016 07:54


Daniel Sevo wrote:

Is there an updated roadmap for planned features releases? (Without promising any exact dates of course, maybe just the order in which things are planned to be done? Some thoughts:
  1. Is Gold core still far off?
  2. Which features are "confirmed" for Gold core? (FPU? (S)AGA?)
  3. How many more features can realistically be added to the Cyclone III before its "full"?
  4. Is Arria 10 the only sensible step up from Cyclone III or are there other possibilities?
  5. Any news about production capabilities of future cards?
 
  Thanx team, for all your hard work

When we talk about SILVER/GOLD then we mean that we are still testing the CPU / or are done with this.
As you might know the 68K CPU is very complex, is supports many many different instructions. When we started shipping the Vampire - we were not 100% finished in testing all instructions.
Therefore we shipped regularly CORE updates as our testing did progress.

We basically done with testing now and then next core release will be GOLD.

Regarding the Cyclone 3.
The Cyclone 3 which Igor uses is a relative big one.
There is still a lot when can be put into the Cyclone 3.

The ARRIA 10 is far ahead.
We consider this as an option for end of next year.
For us mainly interesting is the higher speed but the card will also cost more than twice with it.

Regarding production increase.
Yes, the production is increasing as we speak.
We hope that all order will be served in the next few months.


Alan Haynes

Posts 101
26 Aug 2016 11:23


So does this mean a500 Gold edition for Christmas?

Alan from Oz


Alan Haynes

Posts 101
26 Aug 2016 23:48


Alan Haynes wrote:

So does this mean a500 Gold edition for Christmas?

Ooooops!!!!
Sorry I should have said:
So does this mean an a500 V2 Black edition with Gold core for Christmas?

Cheers from Oz



Daniel Sevo

Posts 235
28 Aug 2016 22:16


So from the info here and the RetroHour Podcast I conclude that the V1200 will come out this year with same Cyclone III as previous Vampires, but more RAM (1GB?).

Is the Add on / expansion slot for Faster FPGA still considered for the V1200 design or is that one finalized already?

IMO, the Amiga 1200 is the symbol for eternal expansion so I think leaving the possibility of future upgrades is great and very much in the spirit of Amiga.




Thierry Atheist

Posts 618
28 Aug 2016 23:13


Hi Daniel,

The impression I got from the interview is that the standalone motherboard would possibly have the FPGA on a daughterboard, making it replaceable in the future.

I don't remember seeing that being thrown around as a "maybe item" in any discussions here.

posts 90page  1 2 3 4 5