Overview Features Coding ApolloOS Performance Forum Downloads Products Order Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
Please visit our Apollo-Discord Server for support.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Documentation about the Vampire hardware

How to Activate AGA Chipset On My Firebird?

John William

Posts 563
25 Jul 2023 19:48


Hello,

I want to activate the AGA chipset on my firebird. How do I do that? I want to officially close and seal the case with screws for my A500 as this is the ultimate upgrade my A500 can ever achieve. However, I want to do it after I made sure AGA is working.


Darren Eveland

Posts 96
26 Jul 2023 01:58


John William wrote:

    Hello,
 
  I want to activate the AGA chipset on my firebird. How do I do that? I want to officially close and seal the case with screws for my A500 as this is the ultimate upgrade my A500 can ever achieve. However, I want to do it after I made sure AGA is working.
 

 
  Hi John, I don't have a firebird, but from the manual:
 
  Mode SuperAGA (Jumper = closed) This enables full Super AGA. In this mode you have more Chipmemory 6MB, and enhanced Chipmemory speed = over 50 times faster. This mode allows you to benefit from higher quality Audio and Video than Amiga could before - but in this mode the CRT display is disabled Running in Super-AGA will allow you to play AGA games on DIGITAL-VIDEO screen, will increase your Chip memory will enable you to play 16bit and thereby removes previous limitation on music and graphic. 
 
  It doesn't say which Jumper, nor can I really spot it from the photo on the card, but on the IceDrake it's J1. (according to the manual of the IceDrake). It doesn't appear to be the same location as it is on the IceDrake (which is near the 40-pin IDE connector).
 
  Darren


John William

Posts 563
26 Jul 2023 04:55


Darren Eveland wrote:

John William wrote:

    Hello,
   
    I want to activate the AGA chipset on my firebird. How do I do that? I want to officially close and seal the case with screws for my A500 as this is the ultimate upgrade my A500 can ever achieve. However, I want to do it after I made sure AGA is working.
 

 
  Hi John, I don't have a firebird, but from the manual:
 
  Mode SuperAGA (Jumper = closed) This enables full Super AGA. In this mode you have more Chipmemory 6MB, and enhanced Chipmemory speed = over 50 times faster. This mode allows you to benefit from higher quality Audio and Video than Amiga could before - but in this mode the CRT display is disabled Running in Super-AGA will allow you to play AGA games on DIGITAL-VIDEO screen, will increase your Chip memory will enable you to play 16bit and thereby removes previous limitation on music and graphic. 
 
  It doesn't say which Jumper, nor can I really spot it from the photo on the card, but on the IceDrake it's J1. (according to the manual of the IceDrake). It doesn't appear to be the same location as it is on the IceDrake (which is near the 40-pin IDE connector).
 
  Darren

Not only that, but how di close the jumper? Is it the one I use on a 3.5" IDE hard drive for example? And you are right. I don't see a jumper. Can someone point out how to close it without turning me into black dust?



Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 6193
26 Jul 2023 05:11


John William wrote:

  Not only that, but how di close the jumper? Is it the one I use on a 3.5" IDE hard drive for example? 
 

 
Please look at the Firebird manual on page 2
CLICK HERE 
On page 2 is a colored photo of the Firebird with the labelled Jumper. Did you find it?
 
 


John William

Posts 563
26 Jul 2023 07:17


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

John William wrote:

  Not only that, but how di close the jumper? Is it the one I use on a 3.5" IDE hard drive for example? 
 

 
  Please look at the Firebird manual on page 2
  CLICK HERE 
  On page 2 is a colored photo of the Firebird with the labelled Jumper. Did you find it?
 
 

You don't mean this do you??! EXTERNAL LINK 
@_@. OK...let us say I passed the exam and got it right...how do I close it?

With this?

EXTERNAL LINK 
if so...where do I close? What if I made a mistake would it damage the card/Amiga?



John William

Posts 563
26 Jul 2023 19:23


Anyone can help me on this please?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 6193
26 Jul 2023 19:34


Please put the jumper on the 2 pins as shown in the pictuee.



John William

Posts 563
26 Jul 2023 19:52


but what jumper? Is it the same jumper as the one in the hard EXTERNAL LINK


John William

Posts 563
26 Jul 2023 21:24


it worked. Thanks. Now I can officially seal and close the case. My a500 does aga now.


Alper Ocak

Posts 9
30 Sep 2023 00:11


I'm a little confused.
Is this the same thing we do when we turn on the Amiga by pressing the joystick button? Because I can play Aga games that way too.



John William

Posts 563
30 Sep 2023 06:52


My approach is permanent. Yours is just ordering AGA fast food and get it delivered by uber drive. That is just the difference. I have a chef hired for life, while you have to keep ordering fast food.


Alper Ocak

Posts 9
30 Sep 2023 07:30


:)
I think I'll keep ordering fast food.

posts 12