Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Documentation about the Vampire hardware

V1200 and Ethernet Connectio

Spyros Kourias

Posts 18
06 Feb 2020 15:30


Just a quick question now that the "holy grail" got in my hands: since we can't still make use of A1200's PCMCIA which means no WiFi Netgear card will work with Coffin, I kept an ENC28J60 Ethernet Network Module that used as an internet dongle for my V500.
 
  However, it seems that there aren't any instructions on how to connect the module and the expansion boards pins on the V1200. A couple of photos surfaced Facebook and groups here and there but since they are not clear and various modules might have slight layout differences as well, could the team point us to a correct diagram just like there used to be one for V500. It's a pity to keep my Vampire offline. Any suggestions welcome.


Henryk Richter
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 119
06 Feb 2020 16:30


Spyros Kourias wrote:

Just a quick question now that the "holy grail" got in my hands: since we can't still make use of A1200's PCMCIA which means no WiFi Netgear card will work with Coffin, I kept an ENC28J60 Ethernet Network Module that used as an internet dongle for my V500.

The pinout on the V1200 is the same as on the latest V500V2+ 2.2.
Most of the easily procured ENC28J60 have a relatively consistent pinout. Please have a look into the Wiki at wiki.apollo-accelerators.com, section Vampire Boards, Subsection V500V2+, peripherals. (https://wiki.apollo-accelerators.com/doku.php/vampire:v500-v2plus:enc28j60)
 


Myzar Alcor

Posts 24
06 Feb 2020 17:30


without going insane with the pinout you can use the same cable used to connect the usb blaster , works fine ,of course it sucks compared to a pcmcia ethernet card


Stefano Briccolani

Posts 486
06 Feb 2020 18:33


Yes Myzar, better choice is to wait for pcmcia activation. Hope this is THE very top priority of the core developers, as v1200s is selling as hot-bread. Apollo team should focus and give all his love to his best seller ever. Reviving the Amiga is the final destination.


Mister Cartoonmonkey

Posts 33
07 Feb 2020 03:42


Itís not slower than pcmcia...I donít see what the problem is. Personally Iím glad to be rid of pcmcia networking and resetting card.device all the time...


Stefano Briccolani

Posts 486
07 Feb 2020 07:32


Never had problems on pcmcia reset on v600. I think it's patched in the kickstart.



Tim Trepanier

Posts 106
09 Feb 2020 20:00


Has anyone tried combining the ENC28J60 ethernet connector with a Iogear GWU637 IEEE 802.11n - Wi-Fi Adapter?
EXTERNAL LINK 
I don't see why it wouldn't work.


Roy Gillotti

Posts 416
10 Feb 2020 01:24


I run this micro router in client mode that essentially works the same as that. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

EXTERNAL LINK


Tim Trepanier

Posts 106
10 Feb 2020 03:40


Roy Gillotti wrote:

I run this micro router in client mode that essentially works the same as that. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
 
  EXTERNAL LINK 

Great. What kind of speed do you get from it? Thanks


Roy Gillotti

Posts 416
10 Feb 2020 15:13


Tim Trepanier wrote:

Roy Gillotti wrote:

  I run this micro router in client mode that essentially works the same as that. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
 
  EXTERNAL LINK 

 
  Great. What kind of speed do you get from it? Thanks

Not sure, never tested it, but it doesn't seem any different that plugging it into my Ethernet network at home. The choke point on the Amiga side.


Leigh Russ

Posts 141
10 Feb 2020 22:51


Mister Cartoonmonkey wrote:

Itís not slower than pcmcia...I donít see what the problem is. Personally Iím glad to be rid of pcmcia networking and resetting card.device all the time...

Someone over on Facebook actually compared the two on an A600 and the PCMCIA was faster, though both are slow by today's standards


Joe Maroni

Posts 2
22 Feb 2020 16:39


I purchased a 12 pin ethernet module and like to connect it to the V1200 with Dupont female to female cables, but i don't know the correct pinout of the ethernet connector seen from above on the V1200.
Can the Vampire Team please help me?
 

posts 12