Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Documentation about the Vampire hardware

All Vampire V4 Users

Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4346
20 Nov 2019 15:59


To all Vampire V4 users

Please mind we do have a SLACK V4 support channel.
Please consider to ALL join this channel
for support, V4 core updates, and general AMIGA party.

Thanks!


Michal Pietal

Posts 89
20 Nov 2019 18:24


Good point.

But NO THANK YOU I AIN'T USE SLACK!

Alas, I wasn't joining IRC for quite a time...  Be there anytime soon!!


Wawa T

Posts 683
20 Nov 2019 19:14


slack is ok. been doing it for a while. no hassle.



Alan Haynes

Posts 132
06 Dec 2019 04:00


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

To all Vampire V4 users
 
  Please mind we do have a SLACK V4 support channel.
  Please consider to ALL join this channel
  for support, V4 core updates, and general AMIGA party.
 
 
  Thanks!

Thanks Gunnar and I will when I get my V4 but no word yet from Vesalia.



Seb V

Posts 3
06 Dec 2019 09:34


Hello ! What is the name of the Slack Team I should join to access the Vampire chans?


Allonsanfan %

Posts 41
06 Dec 2019 14:11


How do you use Slack on the Vampire V4?


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 126
06 Dec 2019 20:45


Slack confuses me.

We've used for work.
And I got invited to two other Slack channels.
But it's confusing, I never see all at once. I need to login/logout to each channel.
Not sure how this exactly works and I don't really have time to figure it out.

Times were simpler...


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 126
06 Dec 2019 21:17


In addition, Slack is not for free.
The channel history is "forgotten" in the free mode after a certain amount of messages.


Eric Gus

Posts 360
07 Dec 2019 03:09


Manfred Bergmann wrote:

Slack confuses me.
 
  We've used for work.
  And I got invited to two other Slack channels.
  But it's confusing, I never see all at once. I need to login/logout to each channel.
  Not sure how this exactly works and I don't really have time to figure it out.
 
  Times were simpler...

SLACK is IRC with a new fancy new dress but its still the same cantankerous old lady under neath it all..



Manfred Bergmann

Posts 126
07 Dec 2019 08:41


OK, I figured it.
It's possible to sign in to multiple spaces.
They can then be switched in Slack client.


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 126
07 Dec 2019 10:09


eric gus wrote:

Manfred Bergmann wrote:

  Slack confuses me.
 
  We've used for work.
  And I got invited to two other Slack channels.
  But it's confusing, I never see all at once. I need to login/logout to each channel.
  Not sure how this exactly works and I don't really have time to figure it out.
 
  Times were simpler...
 

 
  SLACK is IRC with a new fancy new dress but its still the same cantankerous old lady under neath it all..
 

But Slack is IMO more forum like with threads and all that, only that it's instant.
AFAIK they had gateways for and towards IRC, but it was never built on the IRC technology and they closed those gateways some years ago.


Eric Gus

Posts 360
08 Dec 2019 09:10


While slack is not a direct descendant from IRC , the creators (Tiny Speck) were making a game "Glitch" and when they developing that they were heavy IRC users, but they needed more and created Slack heavily inspired by IRC, they used it as a communication tool when creating their game.. (which never launched)

"Butterfield and the rest of Tiny Speck were old-school web folks–they used IRC to communicate during Glitch’s development. Eventually, that wasn’t enough. "

EXTERNAL LINK


Mr Niding

Posts 407
08 Dec 2019 09:21


While I use Slack myself, Stallman have a few issues with it.

Granted, Stallman is a bit over the top regarding Security and Privacy.
That said; I provide you with his thoughts;

EXTERNAL LINK 
Reasons not to use Slack

Mattermost is a Free Software alternative to Slack.

    The Slack client (desktop, web, and mobile) is nonfree software.

    Slack centrally stores all postings permanently; the users have no choice.

    The Slack's API TOS forbid replicating the product or service using the API would would seem to prohibit making a free software client for Slack.

    Even when connecting with an alternative client, using the Slack website (with its non-free javascript) is required to make an account.

    The Slack's API TOS can be changed arbitrarily by Slack.

    The Slack's API TOS prohibits deriving 'know-how' which would seem to prevent a free software developer who agrees to the TOS from working on future Slack competitors.

    Slack can and does determine the user's geolocation, and uses that to block connection from Iran and some other places where the US has imposed sanctions.

    Slack initially provided gateways to allow connecting from IRC or XMPP. Eventually Slack turned these gateways off, providing no ways for users who were accustomed to using standard protocols and Free Software to connect any longer.

    There is no offline or local archive of Slack messages and no way to retrieve old messages if your account is cut off.

    By default Slack fetches a copy of and scans all URLs you include in your messages.

    Slack's (changeable) privacy policy does little to prevent data mining by the company or any future purchaser of it.

    Slack centralizes communications in unencrypted form.


posts 13