Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleasesLogin
Documentation about the Vampire hardware

Buffered IDE Spliterpage  1 2 

Jamie Chapman

Posts 24
03 Nov 2019 18:41


Well cause the checkmate case creator  did this. I have bought a slimeline dvd,  two adapters an the face plate  Obviously steve wasn't that its slowing the cf card down


Jamie Chapman

Posts 24
03 Nov 2019 19:32


So I guess a buddha or something like that If I can find now would be the answer as have the ability for one zorro slot


Jean-Baptiste Bolcato

Posts 50
04 Nov 2019 10:24


Very interested as well, if anyone has any suggestions for A500vamp2+ IDE setup with LG dvd in a checkmate, without slowing down the CF.
Also bought a IDEx99 probably for nothing!


Roy Gillotti

Posts 350
04 Nov 2019 12:19


I have to think even the buffered IDE solution may still be faster than the stock A600 IDE that has to be used with the V600 setup.
 
  Maybe install a switch on the power for the CD-ROM, turn it off when not in use. Although likely you would want to power off the Amiga before turning it on.


Kyle Blake

Posts 40
04 Nov 2019 13:33


This thread is why, a long time ago, I asked if the 1200 vampire could work if there's a fastATA board installed.

two separate ide controllers


Mo Retro

Posts 233
04 Nov 2019 18:00


Kyle Blake wrote:

  This thread is why, a long time ago, I asked if the 1200 vampire could work if there's a fastATA board installed.
   
    two separate ide controllers
 

  Indeed would be interesting to have 2 ide connectors on the A500 V2+ or even the V4SA. Then we could have fast devices on one connection and slow ones on the second one.
  If the A600 V2  would have its own IDE connector would also be interesting.
 
 
  Love to  have  this option for my Checkmate that's coming soon :-)


Jamie Chapman

Posts 24
04 Nov 2019 18:19


I saw on another thread that with dvd attached would still get 6MBS, which I think is faster than native IDE or Zorro 2.  So whilst it slows CF card access down this would still be faster than any other solutions ( I cant remember what FastATA gets and I recently broke mine )

So I don't think this is the issue it seems to be


Rob M

Posts 49
05 Nov 2019 01:04


Jean-Baptiste Bolcato wrote:

Very interested as well, if anyone has any suggestions for A500vamp2+ IDE setup with LG dvd in a checkmate, without slowing down the CF.
  Also bought a IDEx99 probably for nothing!

The best thing is to test it and see if you find the performance acceptable or not.  If you decide to go the Zorro bus and Buddha route you can use the EIDE'99 to connect multiple CF cards or other fast devices to the Vampire IDE.


Mo Retro

Posts 233
05 Nov 2019 10:15


It would be a practical solution if we could disable the slow device in the early boot menu or some kind of keypress/mouse click combination when not needed.


Ronnie Beck
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 106
05 Nov 2019 15:59


Mo Retro wrote:

It would be a practical solution if we could disable the slow device in the early boot menu or some kind of keypress/mouse click combination when not needed.

No.  If performance is your goal, don't connect devices with a slow IDE interface!




Mo Retro

Posts 233
05 Nov 2019 16:58


Ronnie Beck wrote:

Mo Retro wrote:

  It would be a practical solution if we could disable the slow device in the early boot menu or some kind of keypress/mouse click combination when not needed.
 

 
  No.  If performance is your goal, don't connect devices with a slow IDE interface!
 
 
 

Ronnie that would be a solution. But for the people that would like a DVD drive in their Vampire equipped Checkmate it's a bummer.

An other way is to look for a fast IDE DVD drive. But then again these are not easy to find.
A fast SATA DVD could be a solution together with an IDE to SATA adapter.



Jamie Chapman

Posts 24
05 Nov 2019 17:13


The DVD Drive I have is a Sata,  have adapters.  So maybe be ok ?


Mo Retro

Posts 233
05 Nov 2019 17:17


Jamie Chapman wrote:

The DVD Drive I have is a Sata,  have adapters.  So maybe be ok ?

Jamie You could test this with your Vampire to see what speed you can get.
Try the different speedmodes.
What make is it? (DVD and adapter)


Ronnie Beck

Posts 33
05 Nov 2019 19:31


Mo Retro wrote:

 
Ronnie Beck wrote:

   
Mo Retro wrote:

    It would be a practical solution if we could disable the slow device in the early boot menu or some kind of keypress/mouse click combination when not needed.
   

    No.  If performance is your goal, don't connect devices with a slow IDE interface!
   

    Ronnie that would be a solution. But for the people that would like a DVD drive in their Vampire equipped Checkmate it's a bummer.
 

 
  Why do you think that?  I have A CF Card and DVD drive connected to my Vampire.  I get 8.5Mb/s from my CF Card and up 1MB/s from the DVD drive.  There is no reason you shouldn't do this.
 
  All that matters is that both devices on the IDE connector support the same PIO modes.  Most devices you will buy now will support at least PIO Mode 2 (which I suspect is what vcontrol id=2 is.  Can someone correct me here?).


Ronnie Beck

Posts 33
05 Nov 2019 19:38


Jamie Chapman wrote:

The DVD Drive I have is a Sata,  have adapters.  So maybe be ok ?

I used a IDE->Sata and a Sata->MircroSata to connect my slim DVD drive.  The crucial part is the IDE->Sata converter.  I have bought 3 different types and thankfully all have worked.


Mo Retro

Posts 233
05 Nov 2019 20:08


Thanks for your elaboration Ronnie.
That's very interesting, I have to get my adapters yet.
The ide to sata adapters should be in the Vampire Wiki so people should know what to expect and get.


Jamie Chapman

Posts 24
05 Nov 2019 21:52


Mo Retro wrote:

Jamie Chapman wrote:

  The DVD Drive I have is a Sata,  have adapters.  So maybe be ok ?
 

  Jamie You could test this with your Vampire to see what speed you can get.
  Try the different speedmodes.
  What make is it? (DVD and adapter)

DVD is LG,  adapters,  cheap eBay things.  Not sure


Mo Retro

Posts 233
06 Nov 2019 16:00


Jamie Chapman wrote:

Mo Retro wrote:

 
Jamie Chapman wrote:

  The DVD Drive I have is a Sata,  have adapters.  So maybe be ok ?
 

  Jamie You could test this with your Vampire to see what speed you can get.
  Try the different speedmodes.
  What make is it? (DVD and adapter)
 

 
  DVD is LG,  adapters,  cheap eBay things.  Not sure

Thanks Jamie. Could you please post some links for the LG & IDE2SATA adapters?



Jamie Chapman

Posts 24
06 Nov 2019 19:43


Mo Retro wrote:

Jamie Chapman wrote:

 
Mo Retro wrote:

 
Jamie Chapman wrote:

    The DVD Drive I have is a Sata,  have adapters.  So maybe be ok ?
   

    Jamie You could test this with your Vampire to see what speed you can get.
    Try the different speedmodes.
    What make is it? (DVD and adapter)
 

 
  DVD is LG,  adapters,  cheap eBay things.  Not sure
 

  Thanks Jamie. Could you please post some links for the LG & IDE2SATA adapters?
 

To confirm I have not tested any of this yet and Vampire on its way from a seller in the USA.  But others have recommended and confirmed these work.

The drive
EXTERNAL LINK 
Slimline sata to normal sata

EXTERNAL LINK 

sata to IDE

EXTERNAL LINK 

posts 39page  1 2