Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleasesLogin
Documentation about the Vampire hardware

Lets Look At Vampire1200page  1 2 3 4 

Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4193
09 Sep 2019 06:37





Eric Gus

Posts 343
09 Sep 2019 07:41


Ah very nice.. !! I see it detects it as an 060 .. Wonderful job guys!


Richard Gatineau

Posts 57
09 Sep 2019 08:08


Virtual Amiga?


Andrew Copland

Posts 109
09 Sep 2019 13:39


Richard Gatineau wrote:

Virtual Amiga?

I think that means that it's decided the amiga is running so fast that it must be being emulated on a PC using UAE + JIT to achieve such a high MIPs score.


Richard Gatineau

Posts 57
09 Sep 2019 14:21


Andrew Copland wrote:
I think that means that it's decided the amiga is running so fast that it must be being emulated on a PC using UAE + JIT to achieve such a high MIPs score.

Thank you for your kind answer Andrew. My sentence was more a wink to the new SysInfo message. (may be a day, the 68080 will be detected and displayed.

It is great to see the V1200 II progress... Need to expend the + bar!!! :D


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
09 Sep 2019 14:22


Yeah that seems like an even newer version of SysInfo than I’ve seen up till now. Usually it says “Call me now!!” with the Vampires.


Adam Whittaker

Posts 261
09 Sep 2019 14:29


Tis a thing of beauty to be sure! - a while ago there was whisper of this working in a CD32 via some kind of adapter... is this a thing or just some wishful thinking?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4193
09 Sep 2019 14:52


Adam Whittaker wrote:

Tis a thing of beauty to be sure! - a while ago there was whisper of this working in a CD32 via some kind of adapter... is this a thing or just some wishful thinking?

CD32 and A1200 have basically the same bus.

Just like the Vampire500 works both on A1000 and A500.
The Vampire1200 can in theory work in both A1200 and CD32.




Adam Whittaker

Posts 261
09 Sep 2019 15:37


I like this answer!


Andy Hearn

Posts 256
09 Sep 2019 16:39


Agreed! i like the answer, i like the picture, i like the numbers!

i think i'm going to have that as my backdrop picture.... :D


Szyk Cech

Posts 190
09 Sep 2019 17:45


Hello AmigOS!
 
  I remember when you break out x150 and x200 magic barrier. Now you break x300 barrier. This is reason to celebrate! These are gold leters in Amiga history. That is great without doubt.
 
  But I am wonder why you have you have some mental barriers with provided memory (memory on your turbo cards). Now DDR memories are cheap as hot buns and will be even cheaper when you send new models of your cards to shops. Gunar told that 128MB memory is far enough for each amiga programs. Probably this sentence from history point of view will be wise as Bil Gates sentence "640KB memory shoudl be enought for all".
 
  Even more: New programs ported from other OS-es can easily eat that "big" memory. Main limitation for this is lack of decent Gnu compiler ported to Amiga OS 3.x.
 
  Even more: Ask your self: Why do you develop those turbo cards for years? I believe the answer is: to revive Amiga computers: hadrware and software. So in this philosopy, in the future more demanding software is expected in Amiga world.
 
  Even more: If you will tell: there are some OS limits that prevent use more than 512MB Fast RAM. Then: Ask your self what processor will you will develop if you will respect limitations of Amiga OS 3.x ?!? Answer: Pretty limited...
 
  Even more: In PC word in most times hardware overtake OS-es for years: Do you remember Intel 386 presented in 1987 and first widely used in Windows 95 presendted in 1995?
 
  Such vision and wisdom you have to have if you want create something durable and progressive.
 
  I don't want tell you how much memory your turbo cards shoudl have. But it will be a pity if new soft will be not works on few years old Vampire. Can't imagine this? Those empires which don't imagine don't not exists today. Imagine disabled nations dying right now and will be dissapear until this milenium (even in Europe). Not only because they can't imagine, but also because others can imagine more and will be succesors such lamers. This is one of the rules of the universe: If you don't use muscle - it dissapear. If you don't use your mind and body - you will be removed as un wanted rubbish. Gods don't accept rubish in any form: especialy mental rubish. But fortunalelly: Gods give us many chances and they allow search our own way to be wise, modern, advanced and usefull. This is because they can't make mistake when they condemn somebody.


John William

Posts 453
09 Sep 2019 17:58


Szyk Cech wrote:

Hello AmigOS!
   
    I remember when you break out x150 and x200 magic barrier. Now you break x300 barrier. This is reason to celebrate! These are gold leters in Amiga history. That is great without doubt.
   
    But I am wonder why you have you have some mental barriers with provided memory (memory on your turbo cards). Now DDR memories are cheap as hot buns and will be even cheaper when you send new models of your cards to shops. Gunar told that 128MB memory is far enough for each amiga programs. Probably this sentence from history point of view will be wise as Bil Gates sentence "640KB memory shoudl be enought for all".
   
    Even more: New programs ported from other OS-es can easily eat that "big" memory. Main limitation for this is lack of decent Gnu compiler ported to Amiga OS 3.x.
   
    Even more: Ask your self: Why do you develop those turbo cards for years? I believe the answer is: to revive Amiga computers: hadrware and software. So in this philosopy, in the future more demanding software is expected in Amiga world.
   
    Even more: If you will tell: there are some OS limits that prevent use more than 512MB Fast RAM. Then: Ask your self what processor will you will develop if you will respect limitations of Amiga OS 3.x ?!? Answer: Pretty limited...
   
    Even more: In PC word in most times hardware overtake OS-es for years: Do you remember Intel 386 presented in 1987 and first widely used in Windows 95 presendted in 1995?
   
    Such vision and wisdom you have to have if you want create something durable and progressive.
   
    I don't want tell you how much memory your turbo cards shoudl have. But it will be a pity if new soft will be not works on few years old Vampire. Can't imagine this? Those empires which don't imagine don't not exists today. Imagine disabled nations dying right now and will be dissapear until this milenium (even in Europe). Not only because they can't imagine, but also because others can imagine more and will be succesors such lamers. This is one of the rules of the universe: If you don't use muscle - it dissapear. If you don't use your mind and body - you will be removed as un wanted rubbish. Gods don't accept rubish in any form: especialy mental rubish. But fortunalelly: Gods give us many chances and they allow search our own way to be wise, modern, advanced and usefull. This is because they can't make mistake when they condemn somebody.

Compressed above sentence and summarized it to this:

"We need more RAM please."




Mike Kopack

Posts 258
09 Sep 2019 18:44


@Gunnar - is that the final “ready for production” unit?  I ask because it looks like not all the expansion port locations (J4 + J5) on the board are populated with sockets.


Istvan Hegedus

Posts 14
09 Sep 2019 19:05


John William wrote:

 
Szyk Cech wrote:

  Hello AmigOS!
     
      I remember when you break out x150 and x200 magic barrier. Now you break x300 barrier. This is reason to celebrate! These are gold leters in Amiga history. That is great without doubt.
     
      But I am wonder why you have you have some mental barriers with provided memory (memory on your turbo cards). Now DDR memories are cheap as hot buns and will be even cheaper when you send new models of your cards to shops. Gunar told that 128MB memory is far enough for each amiga programs. Probably this sentence from history point of view will be wise as Bil Gates sentence "640KB memory shoudl be enought for all".
     
      Even more: New programs ported from other OS-es can easily eat that "big" memory. Main limitation for this is lack of decent Gnu compiler ported to Amiga OS 3.x.
     
      Even more: Ask your self: Why do you develop those turbo cards for years? I believe the answer is: to revive Amiga computers: hadrware and software. So in this philosopy, in the future more demanding software is expected in Amiga world.
     
      Even more: If you will tell: there are some OS limits that prevent use more than 512MB Fast RAM. Then: Ask your self what processor will you will develop if you will respect limitations of Amiga OS 3.x ?!? Answer: Pretty limited...
     
      Even more: In PC word in most times hardware overtake OS-es for years: Do you remember Intel 386 presented in 1987 and first widely used in Windows 95 presendted in 1995?
     
      Such vision and wisdom you have to have if you want create something durable and progressive.
     
      I don't want tell you how much memory your turbo cards shoudl have. But it will be a pity if new soft will be not works on few years old Vampire. Can't imagine this? Those empires which don't imagine don't not exists today. Imagine disabled nations dying right now and will be dissapear until this milenium (even in Europe). Not only because they can't imagine, but also because others can imagine more and will be succesors such lamers. This is one of the rules of the universe: If you don't use muscle - it dissapear. If you don't use your mind and body - you will be removed as un wanted rubbish. Gods don't accept rubish in any form: especialy mental rubish. But fortunalelly: Gods give us many chances and they allow search our own way to be wise, modern, advanced and usefull. This is because they can't make mistake when they condemn somebody.
 

 
  Compressed above sentence and summarized it to this:
 
  "We need more RAM please."
 
 
 

 
  The answer to this is simple and lies in the Amiga memory map. CPU cards can have maximum 128MB memory, that is how Commodore has defined the address space. Additional memory can be achieved via Zorro III address space something like 265MB + 1792MB if I remember well. That however needs the vampire to be part of the expansion card config chain which I am not sure whether a CPU card can do. Not in the place of the 68000 socket for sure, probably only in the coprocessor slot of A2000 (but that is zorro II capable only).


John William

Posts 453
09 Sep 2019 19:22


Istvan Hegedus wrote:

John William wrote:

 
Szyk Cech wrote:

    Hello AmigOS!
     
      I remember when you break out x150 and x200 magic barrier. Now you break x300 barrier. This is reason to celebrate! These are gold leters in Amiga history. That is great without doubt.
     
      But I am wonder why you have you have some mental barriers with provided memory (memory on your turbo cards). Now DDR memories are cheap as hot buns and will be even cheaper when you send new models of your cards to shops. Gunar told that 128MB memory is far enough for each amiga programs. Probably this sentence from history point of view will be wise as Bil Gates sentence "640KB memory shoudl be enought for all".
     
      Even more: New programs ported from other OS-es can easily eat that "big" memory. Main limitation for this is lack of decent Gnu compiler ported to Amiga OS 3.x.
     
      Even more: Ask your self: Why do you develop those turbo cards for years? I believe the answer is: to revive Amiga computers: hadrware and software. So in this philosopy, in the future more demanding software is expected in Amiga world.
     
      Even more: If you will tell: there are some OS limits that prevent use more than 512MB Fast RAM. Then: Ask your self what processor will you will develop if you will respect limitations of Amiga OS 3.x ?!? Answer: Pretty limited...
     
      Even more: In PC word in most times hardware overtake OS-es for years: Do you remember Intel 386 presented in 1987 and first widely used in Windows 95 presendted in 1995?
     
      Such vision and wisdom you have to have if you want create something durable and progressive.
     
      I don't want tell you how much memory your turbo cards shoudl have. But it will be a pity if new soft will be not works on few years old Vampire. Can't imagine this? Those empires which don't imagine don't not exists today. Imagine disabled nations dying right now and will be dissapear until this milenium (even in Europe). Not only because they can't imagine, but also because others can imagine more and will be succesors such lamers. This is one of the rules of the universe: If you don't use muscle - it dissapear. If you don't use your mind and body - you will be removed as un wanted rubbish. Gods don't accept rubish in any form: especialy mental rubish. But fortunalelly: Gods give us many chances and they allow search our own way to be wise, modern, advanced and usefull. This is because they can't make mistake when they condemn somebody.
   

   
    Compressed above sentence and summarized it to this:
   
    "We need more RAM please."
   
   
 

 
  The answer to this is simple and lies in the Amiga memory map. CPU cards can have maximum 128MB memory, that is how Commodore has defined the address space. Additional memory can be achieved via Zorro III address space something like 265MB + 1792MB if I remember well. That however needs the vampire to be part of the expansion card config chain which I am not sure whether a CPU card can do. Not in the place of the 68000 socket for sure, probably only in the coprocessor slot of A2000 (but that is zorro II capable only).

If what you say is true then that is fine with me. I have an adapter that converts my zorro II male to female...erm..gender change O_O.. ..with it I can use that memory for A2000 on my A500 if it have to come to me needing 1792 MB RAM.



Stefano Briccolani

Posts 335
09 Sep 2019 19:26


When can we expect this card on shops?
Tell Majsta to stop having fun with Diablo..go on production of this beauty!



John William

Posts 453
09 Sep 2019 19:40


Stefano Briccolani wrote:

When can we expect this card on shops?
  Tell Majsta to stop having fun with Diablo..go on production of this beauty!
 

As you wish, I tell him exactly what you told me to tell him.

"HEY MAJSTA!" amplifies his voice through his hands and shouts loudly, "Stefano Briccolani said and I quote, 'HAVE FUN PLAYING DIABLO!!!'"

How was it? - grin -


Stefano Briccolani

Posts 335
09 Sep 2019 20:10


Not really..the shout is "start v1200 production!"


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
09 Sep 2019 20:16


Istvan Hegedus wrote:

  The answer to this is simple and lies in the Amiga memory map. CPU cards can have maximum 128MB memory, that is how Commodore has defined the address space. Additional memory can be achieved via Zorro III address space something like 265MB + 1792MB if I remember well. That however needs the vampire to be part of the expansion card config chain which I am not sure whether a CPU card can do. Not in the place of the 68000 socket for sure, probably only in the coprocessor slot of A2000 (but that is zorro II capable only).

If that’s the case, how are they putting 512K into the V4 (which for the non-SA version will plug into the socket on the A500)...



Istvan Hegedus

Posts 14
09 Sep 2019 20:24


Mike Kopack wrote:

Istvan Hegedus wrote:

    The answer to this is simple and lies in the Amiga memory map. CPU cards can have maximum 128MB memory, that is how Commodore has defined the address space. Additional memory can be achieved via Zorro III address space something like 265MB + 1792MB if I remember well. That however needs the vampire to be part of the expansion card config chain which I am not sure whether a CPU card can do. Not in the place of the 68000 socket for sure, probably only in the coprocessor slot of A2000 (but that is zorro II capable only).
 

 
  If that’s the case, how are they putting 512K into the V4 (which for the non-SA version will plug into the socket on the A500)...
 

On the V4SA they are using the zorro III address space for the additional memory. True that A500/A1000/A2000 does not have zorro III bus, so if the vampire internally decodes that address range it might be able to use that for extra RAM however I am not sure how expansion.library behaves in that case. I am not sure how the memory is autoconfigured in the OS.

posts 78page  1 2 3 4