Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesApolloVampireReleases
Information about the Apollo CPU and FPU.

Apollo OSpage  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Mr Niding

Posts 151
08 Aug 2017 21:30


@Matthew Langtry

As I mentioned in my post, one of the image programs read the CF card correctly as to size, while another came back with errors.

Not saying thats the issue in his case, but worth testing.


Stefan Niestegge

Posts 23
08 Aug 2017 22:12


I tried the Win32DiskImager now. This Windows tool (i use windows only under force) reports 62500864 sectors needed but only 62423040 sectors available.
 
  "The missing space does not appear to contain any data"

PS: i don't think Win32DiskImager does something different as dd - trying it anyway


Mister A

Posts 2
09 Aug 2017 07:57


I got the message "The missing space does not appear to contain any data" as well when using a 32GB SDCard.

I have tried with a 64GB SDCard as well, but in both cases (32GB & 64GB card) the error was the same when trying to setup the mountlist:
"unknown DOS type"

Any ideas what could be wrong? I can read the SDCards in WinUAE when booting into workbench 3.1 however.



Mr Niding

Posts 151
09 Aug 2017 09:44


Stefan Niestegge wrote:

I tried the Win32DiskImager now. This Windows tool (i use windows only under force) reports 62500864 sectors needed but only 62423040 sectors available.
 
  "The missing space does not appear to contain any data"
 
  PS: i don't think Win32DiskImager does something different as dd - trying it anyway

Ah okie. Well, I guess I was lucky then, that the card just had just enough space for the image. I did try SD Imager 3 times with no luck, before I went with Win32DiskImager.


Mo Retro

Posts 100
09 Aug 2017 11:34


The Wear Out Leveling may differ from vendor to vendor, that's why the net Storage differs.
Had the same problem with the image. The original image was made on a Sandisk 32GB CF. The image wouldn't fit on my Kingston 32GB CF. It came short of a couple of hundreds KBytes :(


Mister A

Posts 2
09 Aug 2017 12:13


Any idea how one can solve the 'unknown dostype error'?

(all SDcard types are supported on the Vampire I presume?)


Stefan Niestegge

Posts 23
10 Aug 2017 23:11


Still trying to get this running with the "Vampire Boot" system.

I now got me an 64GB MicroSD card (Samsung EVO). Wrote the 32GB image to it, booted Amiga from CF card with Vampire boot, Klick on "Build Mountlist" button, and then i get following output:

Building mountlist...
ERROR: Unsupported dostype DOSTYPE = 0x50445383 QUIT failed returncode 20
Error in command name
1>

The Amiga can boot this SD card with Apollo OS if i put it into SD/CF Adapter and use it as single drive (single drive is probably a limitation of my SD/CF Adapter, same issue on Atari Falcon).

Therefore this seems to be an Vampire Boot issue, not Apollo OS.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 535
10 Aug 2017 23:46


Stefan Niestegge wrote:

  Building mountlist...
  ERROR: Unsupported dostype DOSTYPE = 0x50445383 QUIT failed returncode 20
 

 
  Yes, Vampire boot support just few dostypes, and your just doesnt seem to be listed :-(
 
  DosType  Filesystem  Handler
  0x444f5303  FastFileSystem  L:FastFileSystem
  0x50465303  PFS3  L:pfs_aio-handler
  0x46415401  FAT32  L:fat95

Seems ApolloOS image is also sensitive to used tools for image writting, not only latest RAR :-)

      For Windows :
        SD Imager : EXTERNAL LINK          Win32 Disk Imager : EXTERNAL LINK           
      For MacOS :
        ApplePi Baker : EXTERNAL LINK         
      For Linux :
        your good old dd command


Stefan Niestegge

Posts 23
11 Aug 2017 01:42


is the partition table that defines the dostypes not part of the image?
  How can that differ?
 
  I don't know anything about Amiga partitions/dostype/filesystem.
 
  An Apollo OS that is a few MB smaller would be nice, so it fits more cards. With around 32.000 MB on a medium, i wouldn't mind wasting a few.
 
  kind regards,
  Stefan


Eric Gus

Posts 121
12 Aug 2017 02:33


Have you considered just using a 32gb Sandisk CF card instead.. it seems it would be much easier.


Mo Retro

Posts 100
12 Aug 2017 08:06


eric gus wrote:

Have you considered just using a 32gb Sandisk CF card instead.. it seems it would be much easier.

Like I said in my post above the Sandisk CFs have more netto storage.
It would be great if the next available image of the ApolloOS would be a little bit smaller by a Megabyte or two. So it can fit on all other vendor's cards. Just make the biggest partition a little bit smaller.

Guaranteed a lot of happy users for the ApolloOS :D


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 535
12 Aug 2017 08:16


Stefan Niestegge wrote:

  is the partition table that defines the dostypes not part of the image?
    How can that differ?
   

 
  Should be, could be wrong image writting or ApolloOS authors didnt think of VampireBoot and did some stranger format partition?
 
  Try writting SDCard on Win/Lin/MacOSX with recommended tools.
 
  If problemem persists, run HD Toolbox create a free partition in one of supported File Systems, format, reboot, copy files there and try VampireBoot from there. Or simply copy files to that new partition, change RDB to desired file system of ApolloOS partition - will loose data, format and copy files back.


Stefan Niestegge

Posts 23
12 Aug 2017 13:03


Mo Retro wrote:

 
eric gus wrote:

  Have you considered just using a 32gb Sandisk CF card instead.. it seems it would be much easier.
 

  Like I said in my post above the Sandisk CFs have more netto storage.
  It would be great if the next available image of the ApolloOS would be a little bit smaller by a Megabyte or two. So it can fit on all other vendor's cards. Just make the biggest partition a little bit smaller.
 
  Guaranteed a lot of happy users for the ApolloOS :D
 

 
  Yes, i bought the third MicroSD card now, a Sandisk 32GB SDHC.
  Linux reports it as 31,1 GB. It has even fewer sectors than the Intense SDHC.
 
  Anyway, i got me that Samsung 64GB SDXC card. The image fits, and i can actually boot it from the SD/CF Adapter.
 
  With ApolloOS booted from IDE i will now try to partition an SDHC in the SD card slot of the Vampire.

This is going off-topic, will start a new thread if necessary.
Sorry for the noise.
 


Thomas Blatt

Posts 56
12 Aug 2017 16:27


Today i downloaded ApolloOs R43, installed it with SD Imager on my new SanDisk 32GB CF card. Apollo Os is well working on my Amiga 600 with Vampire2.Now i am playing with the new Apollo Os.Well done guys


Eric Gus

Posts 121
13 Aug 2017 08:00


Stefan Niestegge wrote:

Mo Retro wrote:

 
eric gus wrote:

    Have you considered just using a 32gb Sandisk CF card instead.. it seems it would be much easier.
   

    Like I said in my post above the Sandisk CFs have more netto storage.
    It would be great if the next available image of the ApolloOS would be a little bit smaller by a Megabyte or two. So it can fit on all other vendor's cards. Just make the biggest partition a little bit smaller.
   
    Guaranteed a lot of happy users for the ApolloOS :D
 

 
  Yes, i bought the third MicroSD card now, a Sandisk 32GB SDHC.
  Linux reports it as 31,1 GB. It has even fewer sectors than the Intense SDHC.
 
  Anyway, i got me that Samsung 64GB SDXC card. The image fits, and i can actually boot it from the SD/CF Adapter.
 
  With ApolloOS booted from IDE i will now try to partition an SDHC in the SD card slot of the Vampire.
 
 
  This is going off-topic, will start a new thread if necessary.
  Sorry for the noise.
 

I was actually suggesting a CF not an SD..  seems this image was originally created for a CF card ..



Stefan Niestegge

Posts 23
14 Aug 2017 07:40


eric gus wrote:

  I was actually suggesting a CF not an SD..  seems this image was originally created for a CF card ..
 

Yes, sorry, i misread that.

Anyway, my 32GB Sandisk CF reached me Saturday, too. It fits as intended and works nicely from CF.
I copied the Apollo OS "System" volume to my 4GB SSD (disk-on-module), since this will be more reliable as a system HD replacement - at least in the long run.


Steve Ferrell

Posts 109
15 Aug 2017 00:22


The same old armchair attorneys over at Amiga.org and AmigaWorld are sharpening their knives over ApolloOS.  They're declaring that all kinds of illegal activities are going on with the Apollo Team, ApolloOS and copyright infringement.  I told a couple of the instigators that they need to stop their bullshit since most Vampire owners already own legal copies of OS3.x and that ApolloOS is neither distributed nor endorsed by the Apollo Team and that it's merely a customized version of OS3.9 put together by a Vampire owner for other Vampire users.  I'm sure that won't satisfy them as they have nothing else to do but bitch continually about issues such as this.  If I didn't know better I'd swear they were being paid by Hyperion just to troll for OS3.x copyright issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hyperion goes after whoever is maintaining and updating ApolloOS.  Hyperion seems to think there's a ton of cash to be had by selling OS3....


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 535
15 Aug 2017 08:49


Steve Ferrell wrote:

  have nothing else to do but bitch continually about issues such as this.  If I didn't know better I'd swear they were being paid by Hyperion just to troll for OS3.x copyright issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hyperion goes after whoever is maintaining and updating ApolloOS.  Hyperion seems to think there's a ton of cash to be had by selling OS3....

I see just Big Daddy with an attitude http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=41399&forum=27&start=280&viewmode=flat&order=0#801663

I can only say I just wish his head turns around fully and permanently.


Dusko Kovacic

Posts 16
15 Aug 2017 09:25


aw is a place where the freedom of speech and different thinking can be compared to
saying that Earth is not a flat panel. most of people there are spinning within  ppc / os4
ideology and somehow they don't want to realise that the amiga concept they have
been worshipping  for more than a decade died long, long time ago.

overpriced, half functional and without any decent app that brings common and basic
functionality for the age that we live in.

people and their statements on that place should not be making you wonder.
they will crucify any other concept that has potential and is out of PPC line.

V4 is the first serious light in a +20 years old time Amiga "tunnel"
no one can stop that now.
and thats the best thing that could happen

after V4 becomes available you will se how the ppc guys from there will start
to migrate.  in 2018 we can expect first usable apps for aros and the circle
of happiness is closed then.

;)

Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

Steve Ferrell wrote:

  have nothing else to do but bitch continually about issues such as this.  If I didn't know better I'd swear they were being paid by Hyperion just to troll for OS3.x copyright issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hyperion goes after whoever is maintaining and updating ApolloOS.  Hyperion seems to think there's a ton of cash to be had by selling OS3....
 

 
  I see just Big Daddy with an attitude http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=41399&forum=27&start=280&viewmode=flat&order=0#801663
 
  I can only say I just wish his head turns around fully and permanently.



Steve Ferrell

Posts 109
15 Aug 2017 09:29


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

 
Steve Ferrell wrote:

    have nothing else to do but bitch continually about issues such as this.  If I didn't know better I'd swear they were being paid by Hyperion just to troll for OS3.x copyright issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if Hyperion goes after whoever is maintaining and updating ApolloOS.  Hyperion seems to think there's a ton of cash to be had by selling OS3....
 

 
 
  I see just Big Daddy with an attitude http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=41399&forum=27&start=280&viewmode=flat&order=0#801663
 
  I can only say I just wish his head turns around fully and permanently.
 

 
  Beans and utri007 were slinging piracy and copyright infringement accusations at the Apollo Team.  The constant copyright trolling by them and a handful of others at A.org and AW gets to be more than tiresome.  They fail to understand that most Vampire users already own a copy of OS3.x purchased with their systems from many years ago or they bought upgrade ROMs and disks later, so using their existing license on a Vampire doesn't represent piracy or infringement when using ApolloOS.  I think they're under the false impression that if Hyperion sells enough copies of OS3.x that Hyperion will somehow conduct further development of OS3.x.  There hasn't been any significant development of OS4 since it was first released some 13+ years ago.  And it will be the same with OS3.x, no matter how many copies Hyperion sells.  Hyperion simply doesn't have the talent nor the desire to enhance anything other than their revenue stream.
 
  Current Vampire cards only work inside an existing Amiga anyway, so how can Vampire users even be accused of piracy when every Amiga ever sold came with a licensed copy of the OS? 
 

posts 161page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9