Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleases
Information about the Apollo CPU and FPU.

SAGA Flickering With Black Screenpage  1 2 3 4 5 

Manfred Bergmann

Posts 70
23 May 2017 18:50


I'm using the A500 PSU which delivers 4.5A at 5V.
That seems to make things a lot more stable.

Manfred


Alessandro Vastano

Posts 4
23 May 2017 21:56


On my amiga 600 Vampire with micro atx PSU 15A at 5V have many problem with the HDMI output. I have tried to change PSU, monitor LCD and CRT, but the only stable resolution is 800x600 with only little black screen. I have toticed that on the V500 the series resistors for HDMI output have been replaced from capacitor, probably for better output.


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 70
24 May 2017 07:59


There were some words here in this thread regarding modding.
I mean, you try to make things better from board revision to board revision.
But I feel a little bit like beta testing the hardware for that A600 V2, which I just received 4 weeks ago. And that for a price of ~350EUR without warranty.

Manfred


Martin Soerensen

Posts 193
24 May 2017 08:52


While ATX PSUs can provide a higher current, the 5V rail is not always very clean since PCs mainly need the 12V rail so sometimes they can be worse than a non-recapped Amiga PSU.


Alessandro Vastano

Posts 4
24 May 2017 12:32


Martin Soerensen wrote:

While ATX PSUs can provide a higher current, the 5V rail is not always very clean since PCs mainly need the 12V rail so sometimes they can be worse than a non-recapped Amiga PSU.

I have tried with 4 different amiga PSU but same problem with black screen on high resolution


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 3395
24 May 2017 13:23


Alessandro Vastano wrote:

.. but same problem with black screen on high resolution

How does the resolution 16bit with 960x540 work for you?



Peter Heginbotham

Posts 128
24 May 2017 13:39


I run my V600v2 @ 1366x768x16 using a 90w genuine PicoPSU with Ian Stedman's ATX adapter. No display issues all running on WorkBench 3.9 (Classic WB)




Manfred Bergmann

Posts 70
24 May 2017 17:11


I'm also having a stable video output of 1024x768x16, with a pixel clock of ~53MHz (at 54Hz to keep the display from complaining about too low frequency).
It seems to be a combination of PSU, pixel clock and maybe the HDMi repeater.

Manfred


Alessandro Vastano

Posts 4
24 May 2017 20:25


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

Alessandro Vastano wrote:

  .. but same problem with black screen on high resolution
 

 
  How does the resolution 16bit with 960x540 work for you?
 

I have tried the resolution but have black screen, with  no vido signal on monitor


Alessandro Vastano

Posts 4
27 May 2017 13:26


I have some news, I changed the vga cable from amiga to monitor, my A600 have vga output through thre Rattle automatic swich, take ECS video, and Vampire video signal, and swap in automatic through the two signal. With better VGA cable I have 1280x768x16Bit stable frequencies.


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 70
02 Jun 2017 15:34


What I notice though is that after turning on the A600 I have black screens relatively frequently until everything is on operational temperature, after 10 minutes maybe. Then it gets much less frequent, to almost zero.

Manfred


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 3395
02 Jun 2017 15:47


Manfred Bergmann wrote:

What I notice though is that after turning on the A600 I have black screens relatively frequently until everything is on operational temperature, after 10 minutes maybe. Then it gets much less frequent, to almost zero.
 
  Manfred

This sounds to me like a power / old cap problem.


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 70
02 Jun 2017 15:58


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

 
Manfred Bergmann wrote:

  What I notice though is that after turning on the A600 I have black screens relatively frequently until everything is on operational temperature, after 10 minutes maybe. Then it gets much less frequent, to almost zero.
   
    Manfred
 

  This sounds to me like a power / old cap problem.
 

  The PSU you mean? The A600 itself is recapped.


Michal Warzecha

Posts 207
02 Jun 2017 20:29


Are You sure capacitors were brand new and good soldered? They can be old and soldered in too high temp or just too long. Of course PSU capacitors can be broken too.


Roy Gillotti

Posts 181
02 Jun 2017 21:10


My problems with black screens and flickering disappeared when I switched from a 80W PicoPSU ATX A600 PSU to an industrial Mean Well T-60B supply.
 
  The stock A600/A1200 PSU are fairly weak compared to modern supplies, I know drawing too much current has been an issue with people adding other accelerators to them in the past.


Wawa T

Posts 459
02 Jun 2017 21:21



  The stock A600/A1200 PSU are fairly weak compared to modern supplies, I know drawing too much current has been an issue with people adding other accelerators to them in the past.

thatswell known but probably should be included in some wiki for vampire customers, to avoid all these doubts and complaints.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 770
02 Jun 2017 23:02


Wawa

Should be included here EXTERNAL LINK 

    Q: Where can I buy a Vampire accelerator ?
        A: EXTERNAL LINK 
Also needs to be updated by AmiTen, RELEC, AmigaKit and Amedia :-)


Manfred Bergmann

Posts 70
03 Jun 2017 20:58


Michal Warzecha wrote:

  Are You sure capacitors were brand new and good soldered? They can be old and soldered in too high temp or just too long. Of course PSU capacitors can be broken too.
 

  They were new and I think they have not gotten too hot. I had exchanged them.
  I've chosen ceramic capacitors. Might that be a problem?
 
 
  Manfred


Marcus Gerards

Posts 53
08 Jun 2017 07:42


MaSch posted diagnosis information on this thread, Jari provided a fix by adding caps. Just read the thread from the start. :)

The problem appears with recapped mainboards & PSUs, too.


László Szalai

Posts 1
12 Feb 2018 14:35


I have the very same problem. Frequent black screens after reboot and the number of blackouts decreasing.

The 600 is recapped. It is also doing with the original A600 PSU and with the ATX one which I've ordered from AmiKit on various monitors.

It even worst with lower resolutions :( !

But I am using a hdmi2vga adapter and a VGA switch too.

I will try with pure hdmi and a A500 PSU too and report back.

If does not helps, I will try a hdmi extender....

Thanks,
Laszlo

posts 93page  1 2 3 4 5