Overview Features Coding Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Information about the Apollo CPU and FPU.

Apollo OS R8.2 DH1 Very Slow

Amiga Johan

Posts 12
04 May 2022 08:41


Have a Vampire V4+ Standalone with Core 8736 (Release 8.2-RC1).The problem is a very slow DH1 on Apollo OS R8.2 around 65,535. Can play only slow distorted video, demos and games on it. DH0 is fast around 16,732,595. Use a Kingston 128GB CF card.


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5763
04 May 2022 09:18


AMIGA JOHAN wrote:

  Have a Vampire V4+ Standalone with Core 8736 (Release 8.2-RC1).The problem is a very slow DH1 on Apollo OS R8.2 around 65,535.
 

 
The display of 65535 result is not a real result but just a coding bug in SYSINFO. This SYSINFO bug is very old and long known.
The Sysinfo disk speed code does can not correctly handle several partitions on bigger drives.
 
 


Amiga Johan

Posts 12
04 May 2022 12:46


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:
The display of 65535 result is not a real result but just a coding bug in SYSINFO. This SYSINFO bug is very old and long known. The Sysinfo disk speed code does can not correctly handle several partitions on bigger drives.

 
  Than the references to "Dhrystones" doesn't also implement it correctly.
 
  Why the distortions on DH1 is that a fault in the Core 8736.


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5763
04 May 2022 19:50


AMIGA JOHAN wrote:

Than the references to "Dhrystones" doesn't also implement it correctly.

Can you explain why you refer to Dhrystone now, when we talk about the Disktest? What problem do you have with Dhrystone?

In fact SYSINFO does never measures Dhrystones. The SYSINFO test has nothing to do with the official Dhrystone test. The Sysinof results are not related to the official test.

AMIGA JOHAN wrote:

Why the distortions on DH1 is that a fault in the Core 8736.

The disk bug in SYSINFO is 30 years and nothing todo with V4 cores.


Amiga Johan

Posts 12
04 May 2022 21:32


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:
Can you explain why you refer to Dhrystone now, when we talk about the Disktest? What problem do you have with Dhrystone?
 
  In fact SYSINFO does never measures Dhrystones. The SYSINFO test has nothing to do with the official Dhrystone test. The Sysinof results are not related to the official test. 

 
  Why the option to use SySInfo in Apollo OS R8.2 if nothing measures correctly. Is there a program that measures the Vampire V4+ Standalone correctly. I donít see it on Apollo OS R8.2 only AIBB which is from 1993. And that have a lot of bugs in it.
 
  Like the layout of Apollo OS R8.2 but itís very unstable to use. To much distortions and a lot donít work or freeze. Hope that the next Core would be better than 8736. Like to explore and know the Vampire V4 must go a long way to be stable for every day use.
 
  Maybe COFFIN 60 is for now the best option to enjoy the Vampire V4+ Standalone.
 
 


Sean Sk

Posts 470
05 May 2022 00:43


AMIGA JOHAN wrote:

Why the option to use SySInfo in Apollo OS R8.2 if nothing measures correctly.

Although it's a well known fact that Sysinfo is a bit inaccurate, it's included simply as a means of comparative reference against other accelerators and hardware configurations.

AMIGA JOHAN wrote:

To much distortions

Can you provide some pictures to show what these "distortions" are?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5763
05 May 2022 07:22


Included with ApolloOS are SYSINFO, AIBB, BUSTEST, RSCP, and AmiSpeedTest

SYSINFO is a classic Amiga benchmark and well known.
SYSINFO is not only a simple to use benchmark but also provides a lot of useful system information.

AIBB has is very popular Amiga benchmark and offers many detailed benchmarks measuring CPU, FPU and GFX operations. The more fine grained benchmarks allows to see strength and weaknesses of hardware and or software.

BUSTEST is a memory benchmark and very useful to measure CHIPMEM or FASTMEM memory performance.

RSCP is very good DISK benchmark.

Many programs both old and new have flaws.
All the above programs are well known Amiga software.

If you want a very detailed CPU benchmark then Minibench could be the right tool for you.


Erik Bogerd

Posts 2
05 May 2022 09:15


I have the IceDrake and have the same problem with ApolloOS 8.2, when i use Coffin OS R60 then my DH1: work very well .

Looks like a bug in ApolloOS 8.2 (and 8.1)


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5763
05 May 2022 09:18


Erik Bogerd wrote:

I have the IceDrake and have the same problem with ApolloOS 8.2, when i use Coffin OS R60 then my DH1: work very well .
 
  Looks like a bug in ApolloOS 8.2 (and 8.1)

What exactly is the problem?
What does not work with DH1?


Erik Bogerd

Posts 2
05 May 2022 10:00


Hi Gunnar,

DH1: is so slow in ApolloOS8.2.
For example i cannot play MP3 when the mp3 files on HD1:
Also the movies are very slow which are also on DH1:

However when i use COffin R60 then everything works ok , i can play mp3 from DH1:


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5763
05 May 2022 10:33


Erik Bogerd wrote:

Hi Gunnar,
 
DH1: is so slow in ApolloOS8.2.

 
Do you use the "official" OS 8.2 disk image?

Please note that each shipped card, including V4Sa, Firebird, and Icedrake is tested with the official ApolloOS-8.2 release and this testing does include playback of Videos from the DH1 partition.

This works just flawless with every cards.

If you have a problem then please ping me on our discord support channel and we review your settings.



Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5763
05 May 2022 11:16


The SYSINFO result of 65535 result is in fact in HEX $0000FFFFF or -1 in 16bit notation

This "-1" is the "default value" when the calculation was not run at all - or when it finished in no time at all.

This literally means "Test was not run"

 
You might have got this result before .. but maybe not noticed it on Floppy drives as -1 written as 64K looks like a very good result for floppies.

So people might have happily accepted it - being happy with their fast Floppy - without knowing that it meant - "test not done"


Amiga Johan

Posts 12
11 May 2022 06:28


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

  Do you use the "official" OS 8.2 disk image?
 
  Please note that each shipped card, including V4Sa, Firebird, and Icedrake is tested with the official ApolloOS-8.2 release and this testing does include playback of Videos from the DH1 partition.
 
  This works just flawless with every cards.
 
  If you have a problem then please ping me on our discord support channel and we review your settings.
 

Have the official OS 8.2 Disk image and it donít work flawless.

Use now Aros Caffeine v137 and everything works flawless. Have also successfully a DH3 partition with almost 100GB on it. Which itís a nice feature to use.

Hope that the next ApolloOS works flawless.



Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 5763
11 May 2022 08:00


AMIGA JOHAN wrote:

Have also successfully a DH3 partition with almost 100GB on it. Which itís a nice feature to use.

Yes of course you can on AmigaOS or ApolloOS add a new partition and  use all the space of the 128 GB drive. This is no problem at all.
You can do this with ApolloOS 8.2 or any other OS.

I would recommend that if you have question how to do such things on Amiga to ask people in our Discord Support online service.

posts 14