Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Information about the Apollo CPU and FPU.

68080 Coding Tricks (Endian)

Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4439
21 Dec 2019 22:49


68K ASM is a wonderful language with cool options

Lets looking at the code of some existing AMIGA programs
and lets try to think about some tricks :

Code example 1


        MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;05936: 1220
        LSL.W  #8,D1                  ;05938: e149
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;0593a: 1220
        SWAP    D1                      ;0593c: 4841
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;0593e: 1220
        LSL.W  #8,D1                  ;05940: e149
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;05942: 1220

        MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;05944: 1420
        LSL.W  #8,D2                  ;05946: e14a
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;05948: 1420
        SWAP    D2                      ;0594a: 4842
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;0594c: 1420
        LSL.W  #8,D2                  ;0594e: e14a
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;05950: 1420

        MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;05952: 1620
        LSL.W  #8,D3                  ;05954: e14b
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;05956: 1620
        SWAP    D3                      ;05958: 4843
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;0595a: 1620
        LSL.W  #8,D3                  ;0595c: e14b
        MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;0595e: 1620

The above code also be written as:


        moveX.L  -(A0),D1
        moveX.L  -(A0),D2     
        moveX.L  -(A0),D3

Obviously the much shorter version is also much faster



Jacek Rafal Tatko

Posts 19
21 Dec 2019 23:06


Gunned it masterfully! ;)


Don Adan

Posts 32
22 Dec 2019 00:44


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

68K ASM is a wonderful language with cool options
 
  Lets looking at the code of some existing AMIGA programs
  and lets try to think about some tricks :
 
  Code example 1
 

          MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;05936: 1220
          LSL.W  #8,D1                  ;05938: e149
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;0593a: 1220
          SWAP    D1                      ;0593c: 4841
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;0593e: 1220
          LSL.W  #8,D1                  ;05940: e149
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D1                ;05942: 1220
 
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;05944: 1420
          LSL.W  #8,D2                  ;05946: e14a
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;05948: 1420
          SWAP    D2                      ;0594a: 4842
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;0594c: 1420
          LSL.W  #8,D2                  ;0594e: e14a
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D2                ;05950: 1420
 
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;05952: 1620
          LSL.W  #8,D3                  ;05954: e14b
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;05956: 1620
          SWAP    D3                      ;05958: 4843
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;0595a: 1620
          LSL.W  #8,D3                  ;0595c: e14b
          MOVE.B  -(A0),D3                ;0595e: 1620
 

 
  The above code also be written as:
 

        moveX.L  -(A0),D1
        moveX.L  -(A0),D2     
        moveX.L  -(A0),D3
 

 
  Obviously the much shorter version is also much faster
 

Yes, but this version of code example is ok for 68000. For 68020+, move.l -(a0),d1
ror.w #8,d1
swap d1
ror.w #8,d1

Is better/fastest.


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4439
22 Dec 2019 06:25


OK lets look at another code snipped from an AMIGA program.
  Lets us try play detective here and find out what is does
  and how we could tune it:
 
 

          MOVEQ  #0,D0                  ;128de: 7000
          MOVE.B  (A3)+,D0                ;128e0: 101b
          MOVEQ  #0,D1                  ;128e2: 7200
          MOVE.B  D0,D1                  ;128e4: 1200
          ASL.L  #8,D1                  ;128e6: e181
          MOVEQ  #0,D2                  ;128e8: 7400
          MOVE.B  D0,D2                  ;128ea: 1400
          SWAP    D2                      ;128ec: 4842
          CLR.W  D2                      ;128ee: 4242
          MOVEQ  #0,D3                  ;128f0: 7600
          MOVE.B  D0,D3                  ;128f2: 1600
          SWAP    D3                      ;128f4: 4843
          CLR.W  D3                      ;128f6: 4243
          ASL.L  #8,D3                  ;128f8: e183
          OR.L    D2,D3                  ;128fa: 8682
          OR.L    D1,D3                  ;128fc: 8681
          OR.L    D0,D3                  ;128fe: 8680
          MOVE.L  D3,(A5)+                ;12900: 2ac3
 

The code looks to me like a compiled did it and could have been written shorter.
 
 


          MOVEQ  #0,D0                  ;128de: 7000
          MOVE.B  (A3)+,D0                ;128e0: 101b
          MOVE.L  D0,D1                  ;128e4: 1200
          ASL.L  #8,D1                  ;128e6: e181
          MOVE.L  D0,D2                  ;128ea: 1400
          SWAP    D2                      ;128ec: 4842
          MOVE.L  D0,D3                  ;128f2: 1600
          ROR.L  #8,D3                  ;128f8: e183
          OR.L    D2,D3                  ;128fa: 8682
          OR.L    D1,D3                  ;128fc: 8681
          OR.L    D0,D3                  ;128fe: 8680
          MOVE.L  D3,(A5)+                ;12900: 2ac3
 

On APOLLO I could write it shorter


    MOVE.B (A0)+,D0
    PERM  #3333,D0:D0
    MOVE.L D0,(A5)+

   


Don Adan

Posts 32
22 Dec 2019 21:09


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

OK lets look at another code snipped from an AMIGA program.
  Lets us try play detective here and find out what is does
  and how we could tune it:
 
 

          MOVEQ  #0,D0                  ;128de: 7000
          MOVE.B  (A3)+,D0                ;128e0: 101b
          MOVEQ  #0,D1                  ;128e2: 7200
          MOVE.B  D0,D1                  ;128e4: 1200
          ASL.L  #8,D1                  ;128e6: e181
          MOVEQ  #0,D2                  ;128e8: 7400
          MOVE.B  D0,D2                  ;128ea: 1400
          SWAP    D2                      ;128ec: 4842
          CLR.W  D2                      ;128ee: 4242
          MOVEQ  #0,D3                  ;128f0: 7600
          MOVE.B  D0,D3                  ;128f2: 1600
          SWAP    D3                      ;128f4: 4843
          CLR.W  D3                      ;128f6: 4243
          ASL.L  #8,D3                  ;128f8: e183
          OR.L    D2,D3                  ;128fa: 8682
          OR.L    D1,D3                  ;128fc: 8681
          OR.L    D0,D3                  ;128fe: 8680
          MOVE.L  D3,(A5)+                ;12900: 2ac3
 

 
  The code looks to me like a compiled did it and could have been written shorter.
 
 

          MOVEQ  #0,D0                  ;128de: 7000
          MOVE.B  (A3)+,D0                ;128e0: 101b
          MOVE.L  D0,D1                  ;128e4: 1200
          ASL.L  #8,D1                  ;128e6: e181
          MOVE.L  D0,D2                  ;128ea: 1400
          SWAP    D2                      ;128ec: 4842
          MOVE.L  D0,D3                  ;128f2: 1600
          ROR.L  #8,D3                  ;128f8: e183
          OR.L    D2,D3                  ;128fa: 8682
          OR.L    D1,D3                  ;128fc: 8681
          OR.L    D0,D3                  ;128fe: 8680
          MOVE.L  D3,(A5)+                ;12900: 2ac3
 

 
  On APOLLO I could write it shorter
 
 

    MOVE.B (A0)+,D0
    PERM  #3333,D0:D0
    MOVE.L D0,(A5)+
 

   

Only shortest or fastest?
For 68020+ the shortest can be:
Moveq #0,d0
Move.b (a3)+,d0
Mulu.l #$01010101,D0
Move.l d0,(a5)+
For 68000
Move.b (a3)+,d0
Move.w d0,-(sp)
Move.b d0,(sp)
Move.w (sp),(a5)+
Move.w (sp)+,(a5)+



Samuel Crow

Posts 358
22 Dec 2019 21:15


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

 

    MOVE.B (A0)+,D0
    PERM  #3333,D0:D0
    MOVE.L D0,(A5)+
 


Shouldn't the perm value be #0000 since we're loading the low byte?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4439
22 Dec 2019 21:20


Samuel Crow wrote:

 
Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

   

      MOVE.B (A0)+,D0
      PERM  #3333,D0:D0
      MOVE.L D0,(A5)+
   

 

  Shouldn't the perm value be #0000 since we're loading the low byte?
 

 
PERM has 2 input and counts the bytes from the LEFT
You select 4 destination bytes, of the 8 Bytes Input.
 
VPERM does the same in 64bit.
This means you select 8 byte result from 16 Byte input.

PERM counts from 0...7 from Left
VPERM counts from 0..F from Left


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4439
22 Dec 2019 21:22


Don Adan wrote:

Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

  OK lets look at another code snipped from an AMIGA program.
    Lets us try play detective here and find out what is does
    and how we could tune it:
   
   

            MOVEQ  #0,D0                  ;128de: 7000
            MOVE.B  (A3)+,D0                ;128e0: 101b
            MOVEQ  #0,D1                  ;128e2: 7200
            MOVE.B  D0,D1                  ;128e4: 1200
            ASL.L  #8,D1                  ;128e6: e181
            MOVEQ  #0,D2                  ;128e8: 7400
            MOVE.B  D0,D2                  ;128ea: 1400
            SWAP    D2                      ;128ec: 4842
            CLR.W  D2                      ;128ee: 4242
            MOVEQ  #0,D3                  ;128f0: 7600
            MOVE.B  D0,D3                  ;128f2: 1600
            SWAP    D3                      ;128f4: 4843
            CLR.W  D3                      ;128f6: 4243
            ASL.L  #8,D3                  ;128f8: e183
            OR.L    D2,D3                  ;128fa: 8682
            OR.L    D1,D3                  ;128fc: 8681
            OR.L    D0,D3                  ;128fe: 8680
            MOVE.L  D3,(A5)+                ;12900: 2ac3
   

 
  The code looks to me like a compiled did it and could have been written shorter.
   
   

            MOVEQ  #0,D0                  ;128de: 7000
            MOVE.B  (A3)+,D0                ;128e0: 101b
            MOVE.L  D0,D1                  ;128e4: 1200
            ASL.L  #8,D1                  ;128e6: e181
            MOVE.L  D0,D2                  ;128ea: 1400
            SWAP    D2                      ;128ec: 4842
            MOVE.L  D0,D3                  ;128f2: 1600
            ROR.L  #8,D3                  ;128f8: e183
            OR.L    D2,D3                  ;128fa: 8682
            OR.L    D1,D3                  ;128fc: 8681
            OR.L    D0,D3                  ;128fe: 8680
            MOVE.L  D3,(A5)+                ;12900: 2ac3
   

 
  On APOLLO I could write it shorter
 
 

      MOVE.B (A0)+,D0
      PERM  #3333,D0:D0
      MOVE.L D0,(A5)+
 

     
 

  Only shortest or fastest?

Yes the real goal was fastest!

Of course the 68060 solution is unbeat able :)


Samuel Crow

Posts 358
22 Dec 2019 21:35


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:
Perm has 2 input and counts the bytes from the LEFT

  Thanks Gunnar!

posts 9