Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleasesLogin
Information about the Apollo CPU and FPU.

Support for CDTV

Alessandro Ghidella

Posts 21
21 Dec 2018 04:05


Is planned any core for Cdtv?


Francesco Lemmi

Posts 23
27 Dec 2018 16:37


It would be fantastic but I fear it will never happen: a specific core should be written in order to support the extended rom of CDTV and to have the cd-rom working.

The standalone is supposed to be CDTV compatible since in different Amiga resellers, where it can be pre-ordered, also the CDTV is reported as target of this board.

By the way any owner of V500 V2+ tried it with an A570 in its Amiga 500?
I was just curious to konw if it works (I doubt...)


Matthew Langtry
(Needs Verification)
Posts 156/ 1
27 Dec 2018 22:04


would need a modified kickstart within the vampire to work with current v500 if it fits inside cd tv


Francesco Lemmi

Posts 23
27 Dec 2018 23:04


V2+ should fit into the CDTV with a cpu relocator, as the one done by kipper2k.




Richard Gatineau

Posts 54
04 Jan 2019 13:14


Francesco Lemmi wrote:
V2+ should fit into the CDTV with a cpu relocator, as the one done by kipper2k.
No, just take a look about the CDTV mainboard... Big capacitors and some other things avoid that.



Krzysztof Wojteczek

Posts 25
05 Jun 2019 06:45


Capacitors can be moved. In my CDTV vampire fits as a charm:). Only Expansion Header on vampire with cable to ENC28J60 module is a bit to high. Anyway I can close cdtv case.


Francesco Lemmi

Posts 23
07 Jun 2019 18:29


And does it work?

What about cd-rom? And expansion rom?


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1427
08 Jun 2019 20:01


Vamps were never mentioned or promoted as CDTV compatible or as expansion for Amiga CDTV, to the best of my knowledge.
There were brave heroes that tested it anyway.
     
      It does not function like CDTV in terms of CDTV ROM and CD Acess.
      Its A500 plus Vampire effectively and Vampire ROM takes over.
     
      CD could be brought by IDE adapter ( 4XEIDE'99 BUFFERED INTERFACE) and external CD ROM surely, bringing the hard drive too. Surely all this would need a bit improved PSU and CDTV board moving to some bigger case.
     
      Example is this A2000 playing ClickBooms CD Quake
      using Vampire, CD ROM and hard drive
      EXTERNAL LINK     
    Sadly, CDTV casing is a limit to abusing the Vamp powers.
   
   
Francesco Lemmi wrote:

    The standalone is supposed to be CDTV compatible since in different Amiga resellers, where it can be pre-ordered, also the CDTV is reported as target of this board.
   

   
    ????
    Standalone is as any V4 able to play CD32 images, likely CDTV too. But V4 ROM should be similar to V2 one and I dont expect it to be able to play CDDA,CDTV or CD32 CDs before WB boot. V4 boards are small, so they could fit in CDTV case but problems like PSU and place for HDD and IDE if needed would arise.
   
    So I dont find how standalone is CDTV compatible? As well as "target for the board".
   


Adam A

Posts 63
09 Jun 2019 07:00


I dont think a core will be planned, little were produced and it had a lot of issues that even commodore did not solve, and there are more important things should be focused on at the moment.




Francesco Lemmi

Posts 23
09 Jun 2019 23:13


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:
   
   
Francesco Lemmi wrote:

      The standalone is supposed to be CDTV compatible since in different Amiga resellers, where it can be pre-ordered, also the CDTV is reported as target of this board.
   

   
    ????
    Standalone is as any V4 able to play CD32 images, likely CDTV too. But V4 ROM should be similar to V2 one and I dont expect it to be able to play CDDA,CDTV or CD32 CDs before WB boot. V4 boards are small, so they could fit in CDTV case but problems like PSU and place for HDD and IDE if needed would arise.
   
    So I dont find how standalone is CDTV compatible? As well as "target for the board".
   

I was referring to this:

EXTERNAL LINK 


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1427
10 Jun 2019 01:48


Thats a preorder page, which does provide only basic info. While its true it can fit CDTV and be used with mem card onboard Vampire, one would lose some CDTV features.


Krzysztof Wojteczek

Posts 25
10 Jun 2019 12:57


It does work but forget about CD-ROM. It will not boot untill you switch off expansion rom. My CDTV in earlier version - vamp was under the mainboard - so no cpu but beast was kicking :). EXTERNAL LINK


Richard Gatineau

Posts 54
14 Jun 2019 20:32


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:
Vamps were never mentioned or promoted as CDTV compatible or as expansion for Amiga CDTV, to the best of my knowledge.
It was at the begin, but a mistake.


Peter Weuffen

Posts 30
04 Aug 2019 10:29


it may or may not work with the new patch to extended roms

EXTERNAL LINK

posts 14