Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleases
Information about the Apollo CPU and FPU.

Core Updatespage  1 2 3 4 

Andrew Miller

Posts 119
05 Oct 2018 07:40


Just a quick question about the core updates, on the wiki site it has a list of the available cores. Is there a way to tell if they have been updated with recent serials or is it just a case of downloading and testing them?


Alan Anthony

Posts 8
05 Oct 2018 07:46


The only way I know of is to look at the date of the core.


Jean-Baptiste Bolcato

Posts 29
05 Oct 2018 09:17


Well, we're stuck on the same core since 2018-08-18.
I purchased my Vampire around that time late summer, finally received it 3 weeks ago and.. been enjoying black and white ever since. :(
Do we have an ETA? I'm not after 2.11, just a re-release of 2.10 with a bunch of new serials!
Seriously, I love the vamp board and everything the team is crafting... and I know they're busy on bigger things; but this is just not good business to force genuine buyers to be stuck with a watermarked product due to that silly serial protection - the update loop for serials integration is simply too slow!


Ronnie Beck

Posts 23
05 Oct 2018 09:28


Did you speak with TuKo about this?


Luke Kulej

Posts 4
05 Oct 2018 10:02


Jean-Baptiste Bolcato wrote:

Well, we're stuck on the same core since 2018-08-18.
  I purchased my Vampire around that time late summer, finally received it 3 weeks ago and.. been enjoying black and white ever since. :(
  Do we have an ETA? I'm not after 2.11, just a re-release of 2.10 with a bunch of new serials!
  Seriously, I love the vamp board and everything the team is crafting... and I know they're busy on bigger things; but this is just not good business to force genuine buyers to be stuck with a watermarked product due to that silly serial protection - the update loop for serials integration is simply too slow!

I've been promised new core release with updated serials last monday by the vampire reseller, didn't happen :(



Andrew Miller

Posts 119
05 Oct 2018 14:01


Hopefully its soon, may even have to wait for 2.11, but I think thats near being released.
Till then I'll mothball my amiga, not really much point in going ahead installing things if I cant use Coffin OS, OS3.1.4, SAGA 1.5 and the ethernet adaptor, probably wont be too long they do seem to put out updates quite regularly.


Jean-Baptiste Bolcato

Posts 29
05 Oct 2018 14:14


No, wasn't sure how to. Is there a special link to send our serials still, I though that was automatic (they know which ones sold etc)


Martin Soerensen

Posts 218
05 Oct 2018 15:12


Andrew Miller wrote:
Till then I'll mothball my amiga, not really much point in going ahead installing things if I cant use Coffin OS, OS3.1.4, SAGA 1.5 and the ethernet adaptor

You can still use it and set up the system even if you don't see any colors in WB. If you launch a game in WHDLoad, it would still be in color since it goes through the normal RGB output. :-)

And yes, newer boards are supposed to be registered automatically but there might still be some of the older boards out there being sold today.


Andrew Miller

Posts 119
05 Oct 2018 15:33


The board I have is a new board, I asked prior when amigastore.eu would be getting its new shipment, Gunnar replied and about a week after they were to be delivered my board was sent out.(also e-mailed amigastore.eu and they were at the time waiting for a delivery)

As for the colours, I'm more interested in using my Amiga as a computer rather than just for games, C programming etc. (tho some games as well :))


Jean-Baptiste Bolcato

Posts 29
05 Oct 2018 16:33


New board for me too, from Amigastore.eu as well.

The reason I am getting impatient is that when you think about it, my vampire is now nearly 1 month old, its return period is expiring, warranty is ticking away, and I still can't experience the whole product as I should.



Andrew Miller

Posts 119
05 Oct 2018 16:42


I've only had mine for a week or so, so not too worried. Though I did initially expect that it would be preregistered as as far as I know there is now no longer any way to register the serial as all new boards were to be automatically registered.
 
  Maybe the Apollo team are just waiting to get all boards from the current batch sent out before updating the core.
 
  Edit: tbh I actually expected the most recent core to be already installed rather than 2.5


Andrew Miller

Posts 119
05 Oct 2018 22:01


Jean-Baptiste Bolcato wrote:

New board for me too, from Amigastore.eu as well.
 
  The reason I am getting impatient is that when you think about it, my vampire is now nearly 1 month old, its return period is expiring, warranty is ticking away, and I still can't experience the whole product as I should.
 

I wouldnt worry too much about the warranty as according to the wiki "The constructor warranty period starts on the Date of Purchase and its length is 6 months. A legal warranty of 2 year is offered by its authorized seller as asked by EU laws."



Shane Stringer

Posts 18
06 Oct 2018 02:43


Don't worry, I'm flashing my 3.1.4 ROM right now, so a new core should be out within hours :)


Andrew Miller

Posts 119
06 Oct 2018 08:25


I can only hope xD.
I suppose for me the irritating thing is more the sequence of things rather than one specific thing. I mean I waited from December 2017 to get one, waited over a month from paying to get it delivered, get it and it has Gold 2.5 instead of the latest core, cant upgrade it to 2.10 as it hasnt been added to the white list, have Coffin r53, the ethernet module and OS 3.1.4 but cant use them on Gold 2.5.

At the very least I now have one and I know when I can update it I will at least be able to use it, though I am slightly concerned that there is no time frame for when this will be (could be today could be in two months) also when the core is updated I have no guarantee that my board will have been added as there is now no registration process, as the new boards were already supposed to be registered and are not.

So I'm going to stop watching the forum/ wiki for a few days and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I next look :)


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 651
06 Oct 2018 09:40


Andrew Miller wrote:

I can only hope xD.
  I suppose for me the irritating thing is more the sequence of things rather than one specific thing. I mean I waited from December 2017 to get one, waited over a month from paying to get it delivered, get it and it has Gold 2.5 instead of the latest core, cant upgrade it to 2.10 as it hasnt been added to the white list, have Coffin r53, the ethernet module and OS 3.1.4 but cant use them on Gold 2.5.

a) You could arrange flash with dealer. BIOS and similar components, always come with board date of production
b) Yes, whitelisting is still ongoing issue, but will be soon fixed. Its sadly not yet automated process. Its an anti piracy measure, because piracy did occur.
c) You can use older Coffin and ethernet or AmigaOS and SAGA drivers in full colour. OS 3.1.4 should not be a related issues.

Just keep watching those core update dates! Soon come!


Andrew Miller

Posts 119
06 Oct 2018 10:40


a) How exactly will amigastore.eu be able to supply me with a new core when there is not one available from apollo? (also others have tried this and were told it would be released last monday)
b) I understand this, but there is no information regarding when this will be updated, or any way to check if my serial will be added prior to flashing the core. Also what do you mean 'BIOS and similar components, always come with board date of production', as far as I know my board is from a new production batch and is installed with Gold 2.5 which is from July 2017. 2.7 and 2.8 are from March of this year.
c) The ethernet adaptor requires SAGA >= 1.3 only 0.1.4 works with Gold 2.5, r53 is not compatible with previous releases therefore I would need to reimage my CF card and lose previous installation.
As for OS 3.1.4, thats just something that would be nice, dont expect it would affect much.

I expect the core will be updated soon, but see point b).



Andrew Miller

Posts 119
06 Oct 2018 11:33


I have e-mailed amigastore.eu to see if they can help as you suggested, so I will wait for their response sometime next week.
However I am not sure where it says in the wiki or in the manual I was sent that this is in fact how it should be done.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 651
06 Oct 2018 11:57


Andrew Miller wrote:

a) How exactly will amigastore.eu be able to supply me with a new core when there is not one available from apollo? (also others have tried this and were told it would be released last monday)

They could flash you latest one avail, you would have it B/W, until you get updated core. What is publicly avail.

Andrew Miller wrote:

  b) I understand this, but there is no information regarding when this will be updated, or any way to check if my serial will be added prior to flashing the core.

BIOS was analogy thing. Yes, this is truly a gray area, and hope
Renaud Schweingruber is reading this - I believe he handles this.

Andrew Miller wrote:

  c) The ethernet adaptor requires SAGA >= 1.3 only 0.1.4 works with Gold 2.5, r53 is not compatible with previous releases therefore I would need to reimage my CF card and lose previous installation.

Reimaging the CF is our destiny for now :-)

There are other cores meanwhile (that would enable ethernet to work), but they have the same B/W thing like newest ones. I dont see why you could not start it all in B/W and later just reflash the core and get it in colour?

Surely its nicer when it all works out of box.

Hope it will be resolved soon.

Also page here needs an update, JICs are April cores and 2.9
CLICK HERE  (if this website is to remain)

Its all down to small team, so patience is a virtue.


Andrew Miller

Posts 119
06 Oct 2018 12:51


Ah ok I see what you mean. I have a USB blaster and have tried the 2.10 core it does work, even tried a few of the benchmarks and programs on the r53 release its very impressive.
My only reason for not using till I can get colour is due to having a history of migraines, especially with any black and white film/ video. Even though I havent had one in the last four/five years I dont fancy chancing going partially blind for several hours, pulling my hair out with the pain, being violently sick and then being slightly confused for the next few days.
I mean the vampire is really impressive, but its not THAT impressive XD.

In the end I'll just have to wait, I dont think it'll be too long before I can use it fully.
 


Adam Whittaker

Posts 165
06 Oct 2018 13:33


Andrew Miller wrote:

My only reason for not using till I can get colour is due to having a history of migraines, especially with any black and white film/ video. Even though I havent had one in the last four/five years I dont fancy chancing going partially blind for several hours, pulling my hair out with the pain, being violently sick and then being slightly confused for the next few days.

I suffer with migraines a lot and sounds like we have many of the symptoms in common - horrid things with no real fix other that a sick bucket and a dark room :( its nice to know I am not alone!


posts 71page  1 2 3 4