Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products OrderV4 Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireAROSWorkbenchATARIReleases
Running Games and Apps.

How About Starting a Wiki for Amiga Game Devs?page  1 2 3 4 5 

Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
14 Mar 2020 20:31


Instead of me spamming questions and brain farts on this forum, maybe it would be a good idea to start a wiki and try to gather all knowledge and experience of former and present game developers to the Amiga platform? This should be from a technical point-of-view, not as an encyclopedia over games (such already exists plenty). In the end, everything you'd need to know to start porting or developing games to Amiga could be available there. Or, worst case, it would be a good collection of links to get started, or delve deeper for more experienced devs. What do you think?


Arkadiusz Kwaśny

Posts 10
14 Mar 2020 21:26


+1
I would like to contribute!


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
14 Mar 2020 21:52


Arkadiusz Kwaśny wrote:

+1
  I would like to contribute!

Great! I don't know how many people we need to pull it off, but 2 is better than 1. :) Besides people we also need:

1) Hosting space (I don't have one at the moment - would apollo-core be willing to put up a wiki?)

2) Software. MediaWiki is common, solid, stable, but pretty old. I'd prefer a system with:

  a) Markdown support
  b) todo-lists
  c) easy tables
  d) Syntax highlighting (for ASM, C, Basic etc)
  e) Possible to edit part of a page (Phabricator does not have this, but everything else (and is more of a project management system than a wiki))

I assume everything will be written in English, so localization will not be necessary.


Ronnie Beck
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 178
15 Mar 2020 13:48


Would the goal be to help provide developers with Vampire specific aspects of programming as well as general Amiga coding tips?


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
15 Mar 2020 15:36


Ronnie Beck wrote:

Would the goal be to help provide developers with Vampire specific aspects of programming as well as general Amiga coding tips?

I mean, yeah, of course. The point is to help and stimulate people porting and creating games and demos for Vampire, the assumption being that Vampire is the future of Amiga computing and gaming. :)

What I would suggest is a clear separation between C64, classic Amiga and Vampire. E.g., each code example could include a compatibility list, and each header could include relevant platforms. (One could also include PowerPC and Atari, although those systems are less popular amongst this crowd (or so I assume).)


Arkadiusz Kwaśny

Posts 10
15 Mar 2020 18:17


I think it is necessary to create such a thing. When I wanted to start programming in 2018 it took me several evenings to research and in the end, I have failed to create any working C code for Amiga.
It was only in the summer of 2019 when I tried the second time and somehow stumbled upon such things as ready-made Docker images of Amiga libraries and compilers and a visit to AmiParty in Poland where a bunch of great ppl helped me set up the initial code and port my routines to Amiga.

There should be one place that is easy to find for someone not knowing anything and just playing around with WinUAE. It should be easily searchable on google by writing phrases like:
amiga c programming
amiga c tutorial
amiga asm tutorial
amiga assemble programming
amiga game programming
etc

I'm willing to pay for the next few years to maintain a server for such a resource.
Also I would help to co-create tutorials on how to start with asm & C.


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
15 Mar 2020 18:57


Arkadiusz Kwaśny wrote:

I think it is necessary to create such a thing. When I wanted to start programming in 2018 it took me several evenings to research and in the end, I have failed to create any working C code for Amiga.
  It was only in the summer of 2019 when I tried the second time and somehow stumbled upon such things as ready-made Docker images of Amiga libraries and compilers and a visit to AmiParty in Poland where a bunch of great ppl helped me set up the initial code and port my routines to Amiga.
 
  There should be one place that is easy to find for someone not knowing anything and just playing around with WinUAE. It should be easily searchable on google by writing phrases like:
  amiga c programming
  amiga c tutorial
  amiga asm tutorial
  amiga assemble programming
  amiga game programming
  etc
 
  I'm willing to pay for the next few years to maintain a server for such a resource.
  Also I would help to co-create tutorials on how to start with asm & C.

Sounds great! But let's wait and see what apollo-core says. It would be good to have everything on the same machine, I figure, for stability's sake.

Please observe: A wiki is not the same thing as a tutorial or a collection of tutorials. We might want to separate them. E.g., one wiki article could be about collision detection in Amiga, covering C64, classic and abilities of the Vampire, examples from different games etc. A tutorial would be more streamlined and to the point (and can also get out-of-date). But let's keep this discussion open.


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
15 Mar 2020 18:58


Hm, I see that Gunnar is responsible for this site. Maybe he has enough responsibilities as it is.


Daniel Sevo

Posts 299
15 Mar 2020 23:07


Olle Haerstedt wrote:

Hm, I see that Gunnar is responsible for this site. Maybe he has enough responsibilities as it is.

Its a good idea Olle, but I don't see it needs to be hosted here. You could simply link from here to the Wiki. I think a lot of what's done in the community is also done for classic amigas with native hardware, coding for the 080 is just another dimension of the whole picture.


Roger Andre Lassen

Posts 110
15 Mar 2020 23:28


Sure, a link from Wiki is smart. But i dont see a problem posting it here. The more people exposed to discussions about this topic, the better.

Keep up the good work Olle !



Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
16 Mar 2020 16:15


So there is a wiki already here: EXTERNAL LINK 
But how the heck do I get in touch with its creator?

There's also a Vampire wiki already: EXTERNAL LINK


Luca Cappa

Posts 5
29 Mar 2020 20:04


I think this would extremely useful, thanks for driving this. Let's use a bunch of .md file under Git source control, for that purpose GitHub would be perfect. @olle Are you going to create it?


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
29 Mar 2020 22:23


luca cappa wrote:

I think this would extremely useful, thanks for driving this. Let's use a bunch of .md file under Git source control, for that purpose GitHub would be perfect. @olle Are you going to create it?

I'd prefer to use one of the existing systems instead of creating a new. A very important thing is to make the information available over time, so that it doesn't disappear if someone drops out. Ironically, this is almost what happened to amigacoding.com - the page is there but there's no way to get in touch with the admins or add content.

That being said, I recently created a github repo for my experiments. We can use the wiki functionality on that page if you wish, and then eventually migrate it to a "real" wiki software.

Github link: EXTERNAL LINK


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
30 Mar 2020 11:03


My only requirement for the wiki would be to have all snippets and code examples MIT licensed. :)


Marlon Beijer

Posts 177
30 Mar 2020 12:05


I intended to do such a thing with amigadev.com / EXTERNAL LINK 
But I've been busy with other endeavors.
My intention was however to have a place where you could learn programming for _All_ Amiga platforms and note the differences and such. It's a big task, but I think it would be worth it to have more developers that know how to make multi-Amiga-platform apps.


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4796
30 Mar 2020 12:39


Marlon Beijer wrote:

It's a big task, but I think it would be worth it to have more developers that know how to make multi-Amiga-platform apps.

But this makes learning much more complex.
I can easily see that a beginner might get totally overwhelmed.


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
30 Mar 2020 13:05


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

Marlon Beijer wrote:

  It's a big task, but I think it would be worth it to have more developers that know how to make multi-Amiga-platform apps.
 

 
  But this makes learning much more complex.
  I can easily see that a beginner might get totally overwhelmed.

Nah, just make system-friendly Amiga 500 OCS 68000 OS 1.3 programs. ;)


Marlon Beijer

Posts 177
30 Mar 2020 22:39


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

Marlon Beijer wrote:

  It's a big task, but I think it would be worth it to have more developers that know how to make multi-Amiga-platform apps.
 

 
  But this makes learning much more complex.
  I can easily see that a beginner might get totally overwhelmed.

Perhaps, but my goal was not for beginners. My assumption was at least some basic knowledge of C/C++ and common sense. :) System friendly stuff is pretty much the same on all platforms, with a few differences here and there.



Samuel Crow

Posts 387
31 Mar 2020 01:27


Olle Haerstedt wrote:

luca cappa wrote:

  I think this would extremely useful, thanks for driving this. Let's use a bunch of .md file under Git source control, for that purpose GitHub would be perfect. @olle Are you going to create it?
 

 
  I'd prefer to use one of the existing systems instead of creating a new. A very important thing is to make the information available over time, so that it doesn't disappear if someone drops out. Ironically, this is almost what happened to amigacoding.com - the page is there but there's no way to get in touch with the admins or add content.
 
  That being said, I recently created a github repo for my experiments. We can use the wiki functionality on that page if you wish, and then eventually migrate it to a "real" wiki software.
 
  Github link: EXTERNAL LINK 

Uh, why isn't the Wiki feature enabled in your GitHub project?  I'd join if you like.


Olle Haerstedt

Posts 102
31 Mar 2020 11:01


Samuel Crow wrote:

Olle Haerstedt wrote:

 
luca cappa wrote:

  I think this would extremely useful, thanks for driving this. Let's use a bunch of .md file under Git source control, for that purpose GitHub would be perfect. @olle Are you going to create it?
 

 
  I'd prefer to use one of the existing systems instead of creating a new. A very important thing is to make the information available over time, so that it doesn't disappear if someone drops out. Ironically, this is almost what happened to amigacoding.com - the page is there but there's no way to get in touch with the admins or add content.
 
  That being said, I recently created a github repo for my experiments. We can use the wiki functionality on that page if you wish, and then eventually migrate it to a "real" wiki software.
 
  Github link: EXTERNAL LINK 

  Uh, why isn't the Wiki feature enabled in your GitHub project?  I'd join if you like.

Why, indeed? Fixed now, ping me on "Issues" or similar if you want write access. Thanks for joining!!


posts 83page  1 2 3 4 5