Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleasesLogin
The team will post updates and news here

AROS 68k for 68080page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Andy Hearn

Posts 255
13 Apr 2019 21:37


Many thanks,
asking as i'm a bit of a newb regarding aros, whats the difference between 6.5.0-2.32 and 8.3.0-2.32?


Wawa T

Posts 617
13 Apr 2019 21:48


its simply compiled with either versions of gcc and binutils.

ideally (for most time) shouldnt have any functional differences.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1425
13 Apr 2019 22:22


Is there any chance VASM could be used for 080 optimized experimental build? It has various target archs too.
 
  EXTERNAL LINK   
  It has various features that could make a real 080-MMX optimizations and show its full potential.
  e.g.
  m68k: New Apollo Core instructions (core >=4035.jic), provided by Henryk Richter.
  m68k: Only "fpu 1..7" may enable FPU code generation.
  m68k: Avoid wrong branch-optimization info messages with -opt-allbra.
  m68k: New Apollo Core instructions: PMULA, PMULH, STOREC, UNPACK1632.
  m68k: -m68020up option no longer includes Apollo Core
  m68k: Support for Apollo Core 68080 and AMMX ISA.



Wawa T

Posts 617
13 Apr 2019 23:28


i do not know anything about asm. but aros uses gnu asm syntax for inlines and files so i dont think it is possible. whoever more competent may look into it or offer an opinion.


Marlon Beijer

Posts 152
14 Apr 2019 20:47


wawa t wrote:

what concerns aros for amiga/vampire, whoever wants to try our work in progress might search the following link for latest build:
 
  EXTERNAL LINK 

This is a more suitable link: EXTERNAL LINK  It does however not work on NetSurf, OWB or any ancient Amiga browser.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1425
14 Apr 2019 20:50


Marlon Beijer wrote:

    It does however not work on NetSurf, OWB or any ancient Amiga browser.
 

 
  Well, old school indexes do work, but we need to present em with each new build
 
  Index of /nightly/aros-mirror/2019/04/13/amiga-m68k-6.5.0-2.32
  EXTERNAL LINK   
 
wawa t wrote:

  i do not know anything about asm. but aros uses gnu asm syntax for inlines and files so i dont think it is possible.

 
  Too bad, beside 080-MMX madness like Z80+ or Atari Jag/Falcon/ColdFire/Pi optimized versions could be compiled and such :)


Marlon Beijer

Posts 152
14 Apr 2019 21:04


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

Is there any chance VASM could be used for 080 optimized experimental build? It has various target archs too.
   
    EXTERNAL LINK   
    It has various features that could make a real 080-MMX optimizations and show its full potential.
    e.g.
    m68k: New Apollo Core instructions (core >=4035.jic), provided by Henryk Richter.
    m68k: Only "fpu 1..7" may enable FPU code generation.
    m68k: Avoid wrong branch-optimization info messages with -opt-allbra.
    m68k: New Apollo Core instructions: PMULA, PMULH, STOREC, UNPACK1632.
    m68k: -m68020up option no longer includes Apollo Core
    m68k: Support for Apollo Core 68080 and AMMX ISA.
 

I don't know how much good that will do, since most of AROS is written in C, not 68k ASM.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1425
14 Apr 2019 21:20


Marlon Beijer wrote:

  I don't know how much good that will do, since most of AROS is written in C, not 68k ASM.

As could be expected. Since I am no coder, by what I can Google and IF I understand it well, GCC should be able to convert C to 68k ASM and then it could be recompiled by VASM to target ISA like 080-MMX.
How efficient would be the end result, I have no clue,
beside sounding nice :)

  There are few commercial products like Diab Compiler that might be able to do first C to 68k ASM conversion.

However, seems ASM to C conversion had much more support back in the days.


Wawa T

Posts 617
14 Apr 2019 21:47


why on earh should we reinvent all the complex tools and trusted workflows years of work of numerous experienced developers put at our disposal with all the assistance they can offer us.. just in order to be strange?


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1425
14 Apr 2019 22:01


wawa t wrote:

  just in order to be strange?

Then keep up the good work and let us know of m68k AROS branch developments :)



Marlon Beijer

Posts 152
14 Apr 2019 22:55


Vojin Vidanovic wrote:

Marlon Beijer wrote:

  I don't know how much good that will do, since most of AROS is written in C, not 68k ASM.
 

 
  As could be expected. Since I am no coder, by what I can Google and IF I understand it well, GCC should be able to convert C to 68k ASM and then it could be recompiled by VASM to target ISA like 080-MMX.
  How efficient would be the end result, I have no clue,
  beside sounding nice :)
 
  There are few commercial products like Diab Compiler that might be able to do first C to 68k ASM conversion.
 
  However, seems ASM to C conversion had much more support back in the days.

That wouldn't help at all, since you would have to manually add all the new 68080 ASM instructions and optimize by hand. No, it doesn't work that way, sorry.


posts 171page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9