Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleasesLogin
The team will post updates and news here

Vampire V4 Standalone - Details and Pricepage  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4173
19 Oct 2019 23:20


The Deep wrote:

I speak about classic 68k PAL games. Like Battle Squadron  :)

Those games are displayed in their real resolution == PAL.
But in DOUBLESCAN mode.


The Deep

Posts 4
20 Oct 2019 07:04


So same like a real Amiga with an Indivision. I was hoping for x3 or x4 integer inside a 1080p50 image for better quality picture, avoiding scaling by the screen and maximizing compatibility.


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4173
20 Oct 2019 08:18


The Deep wrote:

So same like a real Amiga with an Indivision. I was hoping for x3 or x4 integer inside a 1080p50 image for better quality picture, avoiding scaling by the screen and maximizing compatibility.

I dont think that Indi is the same.

SAGA does the same as a real TV station.
Sending the TV signal as PAL Progressive.




The Deep

Posts 4
20 Oct 2019 09:30


480p?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4173
20 Oct 2019 12:30


The Deep wrote:

480p?

In mode "PAL (DV)" or "NTSC (DV)" depending on selected screenmode.


Jaroslav Pobeha

Posts 1
13 Nov 2019 17:08


I'd like to ask, what kind of audio DAC the V4 board will integrate. Some hifi quality like AKM of Wolfson chips ?


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4173
13 Nov 2019 17:32


Jaroslav Pobeha wrote:

I'd like to ask, what kind of audio DAC the V4 board will integrate. Some hifi quality like AKM of Wolfson chips ?

A "DAC" is needed converts a signal from Digital to Analog.
The Vampire V4 has digital audio out - there is no analog audio out.



Ian Parsons

Posts 194
13 Nov 2019 18:09


So if you want a good DAC use a display with a good one or a good separate decoder/amplifier.


Martin Randall

Posts 19
14 Nov 2019 20:24


Great work.

Congrats to all the team and everyone involved including the Beta testers.

Can't wait to get one after the New Year (my expectations, as I expect demand will outstrip supply).

On a side note...Gunnar, how many Vampires have been produced to date ?

Not sales, that is too much work to track as it involves other companies.  I doubt there is much  'stock'  left lying around anyway.

Again, congratulations to you all !!!


Nikos Tomatsidis

Posts 48
14 Nov 2019 21:04


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

   
Jaroslav Pobeha wrote:

    I'd like to ask, what kind of audio DAC the V4 board will integrate. Some hifi quality like AKM of Wolfson chips ?
   

    A "DAC" is needed converts a signal from Digital to Analog.
    The Vampire V4 has digital audio out - there is no analog audio out.
   
   

   
    Since this question come up I like to ask.
    Is the digital signal sent out native or at some fixed sample rate like 16 bit 48kHz. Not many dedicated D.A converters have DIGITAL-VIDEO inputs. Maybe an option would be iso transfers through USB. Lot's of cheap good USB DACs. AROS does recoginze a USB dacs through Poseidon usb stack, but there is no protocol to transfer the sound.
   


Gunnar von Boehn
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 4173
15 Nov 2019 14:19


nikos tomatsidis wrote:

Since this question come up I like to ask.

I dont understand the problem you try to solve.
Every TV gives out audio.
Most monitors and TV have audio JACK or other means to connect external HIFI. You can use an audio bar.
Or you can chain a surround speaker set with ARC.
Some TV can chain external speakers via bluetooth.
If you have no TV then you can use a splitter to extract the audio - giving you Jack or cinch out.

Can you please help me understand what the problem is that you try to solve?



Ante Vukorepa

Posts 6
16 Nov 2019 23:03


If i may butt in...
 
  I believe he's looking for the easiest way to connect it to an external, discrete DAC. I'm in a similar boat, i have a TEAC UD-503 dual monaural DAC / headphone amp on my desktop that i run all the audio in digitally (SP/DIF coax and optical) from my machines, and then from the DAC into:
  - my amp and speakers
  - headphones for games and work
  - headphones for music
 
  I never use the TV audio, even though i have a smart TV wall-mounted above my monitors, except when streaming podcasts etc. from YouTube directly on the TV itself.
 
  Now, i can (and will obviously have to) split out the audio from the "Digital Video" signal with an audio extractor, but that's another box to have on the already cluttered desk.
 
  What Nikos is trying to say is - most discrete DAC boxes already have USB interfaces, so streaming via that would simply reduce the clutter.
 
  Personally, i'm not nitpicky and will be fine with an extractor splitting out the audio - i've been Amigaless for almost 2 decades now, one more box to keep on my desk to get Amiga back is insignificant :)


Nikos Tomatsidis

Posts 48
17 Nov 2019 17:09


It is like Ante say.
      Since there is no analogue out, DAC in vamp. it would be most easy to use some USB dac if you let's say like to use CRT that have no DIGITAL-VIDEO.
      That is what I'm going to do.
      If you are audio freak there are for sure different quality regarding DACs to. It is not exactly high-end DACs in a TV. 
      The splitter you are talking about might be ok but how exactly is that thing. I already have DIGITAL-VIDEO to VGA adapter. I can not use that one anymore then.
   
    I'm also wondering about how signal is sent through hdmi.
    Is the audio mixed to stereo or sent as the original signal.


Bachotet Sťbastien

Posts 1
17 Nov 2019 21:09


nikos tomatsidis wrote:

It is like Ante say.
        Since there is no analogue out, DAC in vamp. it would be most easy to use some USB dac if you let's say like to use CRT that have no DIGITAL-VIDEO.
        That is what I'm going to do.
        If you are audio freak there are for sure different quality regarding DACs to. It is not exactly high-end DACs in a TV. 
      The splitter you are talking about might be ok but how exactly is that thing. I already have DIGITAL-VIDEO to VGA adapter. I can not use that one anymore then.
   

Convertisseur hdmi to vga and sound

EXTERNAL LINK 
    I'm also wondering about how signal is sent through hdmi.
    Is the audio mixed to stereo or sent as the original signal.





Nikos Tomatsidis

Posts 48
17 Nov 2019 22:19


Bachotet Sébastien wrote:

nikos tomatsidis wrote:

  It is like Ante say.
        Since there is no analogue out, DAC in vamp. it would be most easy to use some USB dac if you let's say like to use CRT that have no DIGITAL-VIDEO.
        That is what I'm going to do.
        If you are audio freak there are for sure different quality regarding DACs to. It is not exactly high-end DACs in a TV. 
        The splitter you are talking about might be ok but how exactly is that thing. I already have DIGITAL-VIDEO to VGA adapter. I can not use that one anymore then.
     
 
  Convertisseur hdmi to vga and sound
 
  EXTERNAL LINK 
      I'm also wondering about how signal is sent through hdmi.
      Is the audio mixed to stereo or sent as the original signal.
 

 

That is great. Thx :)


Ante Vukorepa

Posts 6
17 Nov 2019 22:33


You can chain them. All it does is split out the audio from the stream.
  The video portion of the stream remains unchanged.
 
  And yeah, AFAIK itís mixed to stereo by Paula/Pamela, just like it would be on a classic Amiga (you donít get 4 channel output from the machine there, AFAICR).


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1425
17 Nov 2019 22:47


Ante Vukorepa wrote:

    And yeah, AFAIK itís mixed to stereo by Paula/Pamela, just like it would be on a classic Amiga (you donít get 4 channel output from the machine there, AFAICR).

We cant change things now, since design is done.

Surely for the v6+ RCAs should be back - have the function with all Hi-Fi lovers, myself included :)



Ante Vukorepa

Posts 6
17 Nov 2019 23:00


I donít mind it the way it is... No assumptions about the quality of the DAC or the preamp - simply roll your own.

Want to hook it up to a soundbar? Go ahead.
Want to hook it up to a $1000 discrete DAC? Sure.

:)

That said, Iím curious to know how the 4 channels are mixed by the V4SA core. Obviously, on the original Amiga hardware the final mixdown was analog, with op-amps, whereas on the V4SA itís gonna be digital.

There are many ways (algorithms) to digitally mix channels, i wonder what Vampire cores use.


Sascha Wintz

Posts 17
18 Nov 2019 18:32


I am a bit confused as to where to place my pre-order for the V4. Some vendors have it in their store but say it's not an actual order but only to gauge interest.


Ante Vukorepa

Posts 6
18 Nov 2019 23:03


Send them an email and tell them you'd like to be put on the list.

posts 195page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10