Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleasesLogin
The team will post updates and news here

Vampire V4 Standalone - Details and Pricepage  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Ronnie Beck
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 109
27 Sep 2019 22:11


Markus B wrote:

Does the swift away from V4 models for classic models has impact on the Gold3 version for V2 cards? Is this still on track and what will it cover?

He never said that.  He said quite clearly, the focus "right now" is the V4 stand alone.  This strategy makes sense.  If you have limited resources, you have to strategically pick your activities.  We shouldn't read between the lines too much else we loose ourselves to speculation.  The V2 is already the best accelerator money can buy and the V4 is just around the corner.  Let's first enjoy what we already have.


Daniel Sevo

Posts 271
27 Sep 2019 23:01


Natami finally arrives ;-)

Some specs are actually better on the Standalone V4, but here a reminder for those who have been waiting since 2008 :-)

---
NATAMI Specification:

The Natami is no expansion card but a complete computer, compatible with Commodore AMIGA.

    * GFX: SuperAGA chipset on board
      Compatible to AGA but enhancing it.
    * Supported Resolutions:
      320x256 - 1280x1024

    * Supported Pixelformats:
      Planar 1-8 Planes, HAM 6/8, 8bit Chunky, 16bit Hicolor, 32bit Truecolor

    * Video and VGA:
          o 31kHz VGA:
            Analog VGA SUB-D HD15 output
            15kHz screens are automatically scandoubled (not flickerfixed)
          o SVideo:
            PAL/NTSC video output through SVideo connector.
            15kHz are shown directly without conversion (SVideo quality).
            All screens are scaled to 720x512 (or 720x400 on NTSC) as long as the VSYNC is 50/60Hz
            corresponding RGB-analog signals may be available on internal (on board) connector.
          o Genlock:
            an SVideo input connector is available also. The background color can be exchanged with this signal.
            This feature is not implementey yet and has lower priority.

    * AUDIO: Paula style sound
      4 Voices
      From: 8bit Samples x 6 Volume
      To:  16bit Samples x 8 Volume

    * COPPER: including original AGA copper

    * BLITTER:
      Fully compatible with AGA-AMIGA
      Speed of SuperBlitter is many times faster than AMIGA AGA blitter
      comparisons will follow.
    * 2D Enhancements:
      In Chunky/Hicolor/ or Truecolor pixel mode the Super Blitter can "cookie cut" copy bobs.
      Like the AMIGA Sprites, a "cookie cut" copy needs no blitting mask.
      This enabled the blitter to use less memory and to work at double speed compared to planar blits.

    * 3D Accelerator:
      Texturemapping Blitter enhancement.
      Provides Mipmapping, Subpixel 4 way interpolation, Light sources, Antialiasing

    * Amiga backwards Compatible IDE controller supporting PIO and DMA

    * Amiga Compatible Floppy Disk controller

    * 2 PCI slots onboard to allow later upgrading (3rd available with riser-caard)

    * CPU on board
      68060 CPU on board for instant compatibility with AMIGA software

    * CPU expansion slot
      Allows upgrade to another CPU (Coldfire/PowerPC/Cell)
      SLOT layout will be fully documented to allow 3rd party upgrade designs.


John William

Posts 453
27 Sep 2019 23:47


Where one would buy it?


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
27 Sep 2019 23:56


Daniel Sevo wrote:

  Natami finally arrives ;-)
 
  Some specs are actually better on the Standalone V4, but here a reminder for those who have been waiting since 2008 :-)
 
  ---
  NATAMI Specification:
 
  The Natami is no expansion card but a complete computer, compatible with Commodore AMIGA.
 
      * GFX: SuperAGA chipset on board
        Compatible to AGA but enhancing it.
      * Supported Resolutions:
        320x256 - 1280x1024
 
      * Supported Pixelformats:
        Planar 1-8 Planes, HAM 6/8, 8bit Chunky, 16bit Hicolor, 32bit Truecolor
 
      * Video and VGA:
            o 31kHz VGA:
              Analog VGA SUB-D HD15 output
              15kHz screens are automatically scandoubled (not flickerfixed)
            o SVideo:
              PAL/NTSC video output through SVideo connector.
              15kHz are shown directly without conversion (SVideo quality).
              All screens are scaled to 720x512 (or 720x400 on NTSC) as long as the VSYNC is 50/60Hz
              corresponding RGB-analog signals may be available on internal (on board) connector.
            o Genlock:
              an SVideo input connector is available also. The background color can be exchanged with this signal.
              This feature is not implementey yet and has lower priority.
 
      * AUDIO: Paula style sound
        4 Voices
        From: 8bit Samples x 6 Volume
        To:  16bit Samples x 8 Volume
 
      * COPPER: including original AGA copper
 
      * BLITTER:
        Fully compatible with AGA-AMIGA
        Speed of SuperBlitter is many times faster than AMIGA AGA blitter
        comparisons will follow.
      * 2D Enhancements:
        In Chunky/Hicolor/ or Truecolor pixel mode the Super Blitter can "cookie cut" copy bobs.
        Like the AMIGA Sprites, a "cookie cut" copy needs no blitting mask.
        This enabled the blitter to use less memory and to work at double speed compared to planar blits.
 
      * 3D Accelerator:
        Texturemapping Blitter enhancement.
        Provides Mipmapping, Subpixel 4 way interpolation, Light sources, Antialiasing
 
      * Amiga backwards Compatible IDE controller supporting PIO and DMA
 
      * Amiga Compatible Floppy Disk controller
 
      * 2 PCI slots onboard to allow later upgrading (3rd available with riser-caard)
 
      * CPU on board
        68060 CPU on board for instant compatibility with AMIGA software
 
      * CPU expansion slot
        Allows upgrade to another CPU (Coldfire/PowerPC/Cell)
        SLOT layout will be fully documented to allow 3rd party upgrade designs.
 

 
  Are you just making a joke about it arriving or was there an actual announcement? I'm not finding anything online...
 
Edit: Nevermind. Gotchya. The V4SA is the spiritual successor to what originally was supposed to be the Natami given Gunnar's involvement..


John William

Posts 453
28 Sep 2019 00:29


Daniel Sevo wrote:

  Natami finally arrives ;-)
 
  Some specs are actually better on the Standalone V4, but here a reminder for those who have been waiting since 2008 :-)
 
  ---
  NATAMI Specification:
 
  The Natami is no expansion card but a complete computer, compatible with Commodore AMIGA.
 
      * GFX: SuperAGA chipset on board
        Compatible to AGA but enhancing it.
      * Supported Resolutions:
        320x256 - 1280x1024
 
      * Supported Pixelformats:
        Planar 1-8 Planes, HAM 6/8, 8bit Chunky, 16bit Hicolor, 32bit Truecolor
 
      * Video and VGA:
            o 31kHz VGA:
              Analog VGA SUB-D HD15 output
              15kHz screens are automatically scandoubled (not flickerfixed)
            o SVideo:
              PAL/NTSC video output through SVideo connector.
              15kHz are shown directly without conversion (SVideo quality).
              All screens are scaled to 720x512 (or 720x400 on NTSC) as long as the VSYNC is 50/60Hz
              corresponding RGB-analog signals may be available on internal (on board) connector.
            o Genlock:
              an SVideo input connector is available also. The background color can be exchanged with this signal.
              This feature is not implementey yet and has lower priority.
 
      * AUDIO: Paula style sound
        4 Voices
        From: 8bit Samples x 6 Volume
        To:  16bit Samples x 8 Volume
 
      * COPPER: including original AGA copper
 
      * BLITTER:
        Fully compatible with AGA-AMIGA
        Speed of SuperBlitter is many times faster than AMIGA AGA blitter
        comparisons will follow.
      * 2D Enhancements:
        In Chunky/Hicolor/ or Truecolor pixel mode the Super Blitter can "cookie cut" copy bobs.
        Like the AMIGA Sprites, a "cookie cut" copy needs no blitting mask.
        This enabled the blitter to use less memory and to work at double speed compared to planar blits.
 
      * 3D Accelerator:
        Texturemapping Blitter enhancement.
        Provides Mipmapping, Subpixel 4 way interpolation, Light sources, Antialiasing
 
      * Amiga backwards Compatible IDE controller supporting PIO and DMA
 
      * Amiga Compatible Floppy Disk controller
 
      * 2 PCI slots onboard to allow later upgrading (3rd available with riser-caard)
 
      * CPU on board
        68060 CPU on board for instant compatibility with AMIGA software
 
      * CPU expansion slot
        Allows upgrade to another CPU (Coldfire/PowerPC/Cell)
        SLOT layout will be fully documented to allow 3rd party upgrade designs.
 

 
 
  AAH! RIGHT! Hold on a second.....
 
  - opens his chest lid - AH found it!! - closes the chest lid -
 
  EXTERNAL LINK 


Alan Haynes

Posts 127
28 Sep 2019 06:19


Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

Michael Borrmann wrote:

  At the moment it's "buy V2 please, but we won't tell you if there might be a V4 soon".
 

 
  I can again say: Buy V2!
 
 
  The situation is the following.
  There are excellent working cards fort A600, A500,A1000 and soon also for A1200.
 
  The V4-Standalone is model to support.
  Yes the V4 was planned also for A500 etc etc
  But if we bring out now also the V4-500, and V4-Atari-ST and V4-you-name-it
 
  This would mean we have MANY MANY models of the V4
  Which our V4 team needs to support and provide best working updates for customer.
 
  This would mean that our effort gets very thin spread and each model
  gets only minimal support.
 
  While this might be perfect for the quick money for us, 
  would this in the best interest for the customers?
  Certainly not.
 
  As we want to support our customer to very best - our V4 team decided to 100% focus now on the best support for the V4-SA.
 
  We tried to communicate this before.
  V4-SA is the 100% focus of the V4 Team now.
 
  Does this explanation make sense?

I agree with you totally Gunnar. The legacy versions can come later.
Somewhere along the road we need to say good bye to the legacy hardware if we ever want the Amiga to move into the 21st century.
No matter which version of the V4 went into A1000, A2000, A3000, A4000, A500, A600, CDTV or CD32 there will always be legacy bottlenecks to slow Ami down.
If you really love Amiga wouldn't you want her to be the very best she can.
This can only potentially happen if she is made free to spread her wings.
Excellent work Team Vampire.
I love what you have done.
Alan from Oz



Alan Haynes

Posts 127
28 Sep 2019 06:20


Andrew Miller wrote:

Thats fair enough, I'll still be enjoying my V2 for quite some time and will get the v4 standalone when its available.

That is the right attitude Andrew and the same for me


Alan Haynes

Posts 127
28 Sep 2019 06:23


Lord Aga wrote:

Adam  A wrote:

  ...using windows paint :D
 
    EXTERNAL LINK   
 

 
  Arrrgh, why not DPaint :)

Lord Aga, I totally agree but perhaps he does not have DPaint.


Markus B

Posts 108
28 Sep 2019 14:55


Gunnar clearly said that V4 for Classic has been stalled indefinitely. Unless the SA loses attention on the market.

Given the pace and the problems the guys encountered, I don't see any V4 for Classic happening for several years.

Which is fine for me.


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
28 Sep 2019 15:53


Markus B wrote:

Gunnar clearly said that V4 for Classic has been stalled indefinitely. Unless the SA loses attention on the market.
 
  Given the pace and the problems the guys encountered, I don't see any V4 for Classic happening for several years.
 
  Which is fine for me.

NOWHERE did he say "Its stalled indefinitely"

Let's look at his post:

Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

Michael Borrmann wrote:

  At the moment it's "buy V2 please, but we won't tell you if there might be a V4 soon".
 

 
  I can again say: Buy V2!
 
 
  The situation is the following.
  There are excellent working cards fort A600, A500,A1000 and soon also for A1200.
 
  The V4-Standalone is model to support.
  Yes the V4 was planned also for A500 etc etc
  But if we bring out now also the V4-500, and V4-Atari-ST and V4-you-name-it
 
  This would mean we have MANY MANY models of the V4
  Which our V4 team needs to support and provide best working updates for customer.
 
  This would mean that our effort gets very thin spread and each model
  gets only minimal support.

ie: they don't have the manpower right now to support multiple V4 releases on top of the A1200 release and the existing V2 stuff.

Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

 
  While this might be perfect for the quick money for us, 
  would this in the best interest for the customers?
  Certainly not.
 
  As we want to support our customer to very best - our V4 team decided to 100% focus now on the best support for the V4-SA.

decided to 100% focus NOW - not forever, just right now. Get it out the door, get software support working on it, get the Ethernet working in the core, resolve any bugs people find in the core.

Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

 
  We tried to communicate this before.
  V4-SA is the 100% focus of the V4 Team now.

Again the word "Now". Not "forever", just right now.

Don't read into things that weren't stated. Might this change in the future? Sure. But they've been saying for MONTHS (literally since at least the March update if not before) that the V4SA would get the primary focus, the A1200 secondary... They wouldn't do the other V4's until later on.  So as I see it nothing has changed. They NEVER said the V4's for 500/1000/2000 would be out immediately after the V4SA...


Michal Pietal

Posts 76
28 Sep 2019 16:40


Dear Apollo Team,

Thank You for making the V4SA use easier, due to wrapping it into a bundle, to be bought during Amiga34 in Neuss.  Alas, I presume I will get the V4 Standalone later, via an Amiga e-shop.

Thus as the supported accessories (i.e. a keyboard and a mouse) have limited in support in general, please ensure that either:

1) when delivering V4SA to the distributors, standard working accessories will be possible to buy too, as a bundle (non necessarily branded-ones), or

2) please disclose the actual Neuss launch items' names (codes), so that one can buy those working accessories elsewhere, as V4SA becomes available in the shops

Thank You.


Thumptech 1

Posts 7
28 Sep 2019 17:04


I've had a 600-V2 for ages now.  I purchased it because it made the A600 more awesome than my a4000 at minimal cost.  I've since stopped using it for at least one of those ages because software isn't getting written. I say bring on the standalones, push AROS and forget about the rest until there's more cooks in the kitchen.


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
28 Sep 2019 17:06


Michal Pietal wrote:

Dear Apollo Team,
 
  Thank You for making the V4SA use easier, due to wrapping it into a bundle, to be bought during Amiga34 in Neuss.  Alas, I presume I will get the V4 Standalone later, via an Amiga e-shop.
 
  Thus as the supported accessories (i.e. a keyboard and a mouse) have limited in support in general, please ensure that either:
 
  1) when delivering V4SA to the distributors, standard working accessories will be possible to buy too, as a bundle (non necessarily branded-ones), or
 
  2) please disclose the actual Neuss launch items' names (codes), so that one can buy those working accessories elsewhere, as V4SA becomes available in the shops
 
  Thank You.

Compatibility list is here: EXTERNAL LINK 
Note that itís only what they have tested so far so this list will likely grow rapidly once people get their hands on the V4SA AMD test and report what works and what doesnít.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1430
28 Sep 2019 17:31


How can e.g. v2 and first v4 users contribute to Vamp Wiki?

Not only hw list, whdload one is with old slaves and cores,
I assume RTG one is most correct.


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
28 Sep 2019 17:53


thumptech 1 wrote:

I've had a 600-V2 for ages now.  I purchased it because it made the A600 more awesome than my a4000 at minimal cost.  I've since stopped using it for at least one of those ages because software isn't getting written. I say bring on the standalones, push AROS and forget about the rest until there's more cooks in the kitchen.

Doesnít need to be an either-or situation though.  Code written for the v4 should work fine on the V2.  Really the big things we need are gcc and other compilers to generate for the 68080 and AMMX. Those will apply to all the Apollo core boards. 

Only stuff written to take advantage of the SAGA extensions will be V4 specific (for now until they backporr some/all support to the V2).


Robert Markus

Posts 9
28 Sep 2019 18:52


On the compatibility list is listed "iComp Keyrah V4" but only Keyrah V2 is present by iComp is it misspelled or Keyrah V4 will be produced?


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
28 Sep 2019 20:50


Robert Markus wrote:

On the compatibility list is listed "iComp Keyrah V4" but only Keyrah V2 is present by iComp is it misspelled or Keyrah V4 will be produced?

Itís a typo. Keyrah V2 working on vampire V4.


Markus B

Posts 108
29 Sep 2019 13:58


Gunnar wrote so on a1k.org

So for the next years there won't be any V4 for Classic.
That's why he said to buy V2.


Stefano Briccolani

Posts 336
29 Sep 2019 16:07


Why amedia is asking 589 euros instead of 549 on v4 preorders? I understood that the barebone system, without cf, cf-adaptor, mouse & keyboard would cost on the shops the same as the Apollo team Amiga34 special offer (without bonus items), but this is 40 euros more..
  Hope the other resellers don't follow this one..


Richard Gatineau

Posts 57
29 Sep 2019 16:22


Stefano Briccolani wrote:
Why amedia is asking 589 euros instead of 549 on v4 preorders? I understood that the barebone system, without cf, cf-adaptor, mouse & keyboard would cost on the shops the same as the Apollo team Amiga34 special offer (without bonus items), but this is 40 euros more..Hope the other resellers don't follow this one..

Yes... And we can expect the V4 mainboard alone for 499Ä if the V34 is 549Ä... So, it is a no go for 589Ä.
 

posts 195page  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10