Overview Features Instructions Performance Forum Downloads Products Reseller Contact

Welcome to the Apollo Forum

This forum is for people interested in the APOLLO CPU.
Please read the forum usage manual.
VISIT APOLLO IRC CHANNEL



All TopicsNewsPerformanceGamesDemosApolloVampireCoffinReleasesLogin
The team will post updates and news here

The Apollo Team Attending to the Oufpartypage  1 2 

Renaud Schweingruber
(Apollo Team Member)
Posts 308
03 Jun 2019 10:59


Tim Trepanier wrote:

In watching the videos from the Oufparty it's hard to tell the configuration of the A1200 Vampire card.
 
  Altera a3 (V2) or a5(V4) FPGA
  128MB or 512MB of RAM?
  Looks like it has an DIGITAL-VIDEO connector and SD card reader?
  68080 V3 core?
 
  Could someone verify the specs of the A1200 Vampire card?
 

Working prototype has those specs :
- Cyclone 3 FPGA
- 128MB SDRAM
- GOLD2.x branch core
- Video output was from Indivision AGA with DIGITAL-VIDEO adapter
- No SD card reader visible :) card has microSD slot though


ExiE CZEX

Posts 42
03 Jun 2019 13:22


Renaud Schweingruber wrote:

  Working prototype has those specs :
  - Cyclone 3 FPGA
  - 128MB SDRAM
  - GOLD2.x branch core
  - Video output was from Indivision AGA with DIGITAL-VIDEO adapter
  - No SD card reader visible :) card has microSD slot though

And are these specs already final for the production model? Coz these specs looks just like V2 reworked for A1200, nothing really surprising  ...


Roy Gillotti

Posts 351
03 Jun 2019 14:16


ExiE CZEX wrote:

 
Renaud Schweingruber wrote:

    Working prototype has those specs :
    - Cyclone 3 FPGA
    - 128MB SDRAM
    - GOLD2.x branch core
    - Video output was from Indivision AGA with DIGITAL-VIDEO adapter
    - No SD card reader visible :) card has microSD slot though
   

    And are these specs already final for the production model? Coz these specs looks just like V2 reworked for A1200, nothing really surprising  ...
 

 
  From my understanding there will likely be V2 and V4 variants of the V1200 as well. Also only real significance between the Cyclone 3 and 5 would be space, but since an AGA core doesn't need to be shoved into the core it may have similar features as the V4. But as stated this is a working Prototype and not the launch version.
 


ExiE CZEX

Posts 42
03 Jun 2019 14:23


Roy Gillotti wrote:

    From my understanding there will likely be V2 and V4 variants of the V1200 as well. Also only real significance between the Cyclone 3 and 5 would be space, but since an AGA core doesn't need to be shoved into the core it may have similar features as the V4. But as stated this is a working Prototype and not the launch version.

Not sure about that. I read somewhere that if you want use DIGITAL-VIDEO output, the FPGA's SAGA chipset must be used...



Roy Gillotti

Posts 351
03 Jun 2019 14:32


ExiE CZEX wrote:

 
  Not sure about that. I read somewhere that if you want use DIGITAL-VIDEO output, the FPGA's SAGA chipset must be used...
 
 

  Renauld's post clearly states AGA with individual flicker fixer meaning it's going through traditional RGB port. It's not too different from A500/A600 V2 with RTG through DIGITAL-VIDEO and OCS/ECS through the traditional RGB port.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1430
03 Jun 2019 14:54


OK, so V2 for 1200 and Standalone V4 go first. Nice summertime :)

Now, any word of estimated consumer end price incl. VAT and dealers commission?


Mike Kopack

Posts 258
03 Jun 2019 16:27


I havenít seen any mention of price, but if we figure the current prices of the V2 boards, the fact that the V4 has a few more connectors and a more expensive FPGA onboard, I think a 25-40% price increase over the V2 board is not unreasonable to expect as a ballpark. Certainly I would be elated if it comes in less than that though.


Wawa T

Posts 618
03 Jun 2019 19:34


sympathetic flic. funny, reminds me of a good friend of me coming from the neighborhood of stgt, now in brln like me. particularly like the mention of people helping polish and finnish the accel;)


Sean Sk

Posts 292
03 Jun 2019 20:45


I am so pumped for the V1200, can't wait to get one. It's been a real pleasure being a part of this community.
     
I thought Gunnar's comments were interesting when he said that the V4 standalone will hopefully allow people to again join the Amiga market without the need to have to find an old Amiga.
     
To illustrate the potential appeal of the V4 standalone; a young lad I know, who never grew up on the Amiga and therefore doesn't have that nostalgic connection to it, enjoys playing multiplayer Lotus 2 with some of us older Amiga enthusiasts as well as other games. Buying a second hand Amiga in Australia can be prohibitive because of the high prices being asked, but he has seen what my Vampire 600 can do and really wants to get a V4 standalone. He keeps on asking me if there is any news about it's release.
     
So it seems that the standalone could have some seriously awesome market appeal and, although I won't be getting one at this point, I'm really looking forward to seeing it's release as well.


Adam A

Posts 64
03 Jun 2019 21:25


I'm assuming the price will be in the range of 449-499 Euros

production cost is probably 35-40% more +accessories +it is most likely to come with a case which will increase cost.




Tim Trepanier

Posts 71
03 Jun 2019 22:49


Renaud Schweingruber wrote:

  Working prototype has those specs :
  - Cyclone 3 FPGA
  - 128MB SDRAM
  - GOLD2.x branch core
  - Video output was from Indivision AGA with DIGITAL-VIDEO adapter
  - No SD card reader visible :) card has microSD slot though
 

Thanks, for answering, This is interesting but I asked the wrong question.

What will the specs of the final A1200 Vampire card? I would really prefer Cyclone 5 with 512MB of RAM. I realize this would increase the cost but the advantage of waiting this long is that i've saved enough money for a higher end card.


M Rickan

Posts 170
03 Jun 2019 23:24


sean sk wrote:

I thought Gunnar's comments were interesting when he said that the V4 standalone will hopefully allow people to again join the Amiga market without the need to have to find an old Amiga.

So now that the hardware legacy has been preserved and the possibility exists for a mainstream offering, the only minor obstacle is the OS.

Argh.



ExiE CZEX

Posts 42
04 Jun 2019 13:47


Roy Gillotti wrote:

    Renauld's post clearly states AGA with individual flicker fixer meaning it's going through traditional RGB port. It's not too different from A500/A600 V2 with RTG through DIGITAL-VIDEO and OCS/ECS through the traditional RGB port.
 

  So? I was not asking about prototype but final specs of V1200. Core3 would mean SAGA and possible just one video output - over DIGITAL-VIDEO. I was asking coz I am not interested in V2 based A1200 version and individual flicker fixer to use modern display...


Roy Gillotti

Posts 351
04 Jun 2019 13:59


ExiE CZEX wrote:

  So? I was not asking about prototype but final specs of V1200.

ugg... Almost all of my responses was essentially saying this was the prototype and there likely will be a V4 variant as stated in the V4 release info. All I know, there may be a V2 and V4 V1200 versions depending on what you want to spend. I doubt anyone from the team will comment with concrete specs until they're ready to ship them.


Vojin Vidanovic

Posts 1430
04 Jun 2019 21:47


ExiE CZEX wrote:

     
        So? I was not asking about prototype but final specs of V1200.
     

     
      This is Igors pet project, V2 and A1200 with small tweaks, based on his own experience in building V2s (A600 mainly). V4 versions should come after Standalones launch and are planned at least for A1200 and CD32 as well as A500-1000-2000.
     
      This would be a cheaper ticket for A1200 users that dont want V4 power. Also, gold3 core might be avail for it too, but that will be V4 backport and seems to be at the end of to do list. If the response is so negative, it might even end up as just being "Vampire for A1200" teaser never going final. Depends how far to V4 for A1200 and prices difference and interest.
     
      All this said, team can always give a different current update,this is all "old news".
     
    Final specs of V4 models should be similar to:
   
    Apollo 68080 CPU and SAGA in Cyclone V FPGA
    Performance is application dependent:
    up to ~ 1000MHz 68030 / 500MHz 68040 / 250MHz 68060
    512 MB DDR3 Memory
    Dual Flash Chips
    FastKick
    SAGA GFX Core : Truecolor DIGITAL VIDEO and AUDIO OUT
    FastIDE/CompactFlash Controller 13MB/sec
    SDcard for Data exchange
    USB
    RJ45 100BaseTX Ethernet
    Expansion ports (e.g. Wifi Module)

posts 35page  1 2